Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav upgrades least time to dest - to take into account SC time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
I thought one of the changes I heard on a video was that on a longer trip that it would take into account stopping at superchargers for an optimum time?

To which this was one reply:
That makes no sense. They won't do battery range calculations / estimations based on future yet-to-be-done "possible-but-not-guaranteed" charging options. If anything their new firmware algorithms may better take into account previous performance and/or more realtime battery discharge & capacity variables.

Check out this video at 8m 11s
Tesla Motors challenges German Carmakers in their Home Country 1/2 - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben is wrong...Scott you are correct. The nav update, expected in December (= Jan-Mar in Tesla time) will take into account any active Supercharger stations, as well as surface winds and elevation changes, to predict expected range and will calculate the best options including Supercharger stops.

Sometimes you actually get to your destination faster if you drive a little slower and charge less. Sometimes you get there faster if you drive faster and Supercharge a little longer. The nav routing is expected to take all this into account.

Ben is wrong...Scott you are correct. The nav update, expected in December (= Jan-Mar in Tesla time) will take into account any active Supercharger stations, as well as surface winds and elevation changes, to predict expected range and will calculate the best options including Supercharger stops.

Sometimes you actually get to your destination faster if you drive a little slower and charge less. Sometimes you get there faster if you drive faster and Supercharge a little longer. The nav routing is expected to take all this into account.

This makes me smile ... :smile: ... see? The level of flight planning and real-time feedback planned is great. Hopefully flexible routing can be built into the nav so I can drag my route across the Tappan Zee rather than the GWB, for example. I don't know if Navigon has the flexibility to take waypoints from Google to use in it's routing engine.

This makes me smile ... :smile: ... see? The level of flight planning and real-time feedback planned is great. Hopefully flexible routing can be built into the nav so I can drag my route across the Tappan Zee rather than the GWB, for example. I don't know if Navigon has the flexibility to take waypoints from Google to use in it's routing engine.

Very much this!