TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Navdy heads up display

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by hurd300403, Sep 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hurd300403

hurd300403 Member

really enjoying this upgrade.

all features work and it just required a slightly custom mount... ultra sticky tape. works rock solid!

Attached Files:

• Informative x 3
  2. hsull8915

hsull8915 Supporting Member

This just took the #1 spot on my Christmas list! That is awesome, thank you for sharing!!!

• Like x 1
  3. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

Will it work with Waze?

4. hurd300403

hurd300403 Member

sadly, nope.

one work around is to turn on wave notifications and it will tell you when alerts come up, but that's not the best. it has built in nav using google maps and does have stop light camera alerts, speed limits, etc. it really feels like my roadster has as good or better display than my model S.... I just wish it looked more stock, but they need to iterate with slimmer hardware

• Informative x 1
  5. Kerios

Kerios Member

Does it work with the OVMS connected to the OBD2 port at the same time?

6. bart513

bart513 Active Member

Awesome!!!

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Awesome. I had the same question. Does it work with OVMS or replace OVMS in that you can tell the charge and start/stop a charge?

8. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

excuse the cross-thread posting, but I have one arriving in the mail next week for my S90D that I am excited to try.

9. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

If not already in the Model 3 forums, it will be soon....

10. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

OVMS plugs into the DIAG port. These things plug into the OBDII port. Problem is that the OBDII port on the roadster is non-functional - just power and TPMS diagnostics, nothing else.

Good news is that OVMS v3 is gonna include an OBDII ECU simulator. It will offer a OBDII port that supports OBDII dongles, HUDs, etc. The OVMS v3 talks to the car using that DIAG port, and then exposes a standard OBDII female port with an OBDII ECU simulated for things like speed, fuel consumption, etc. That should allow these things to work really well in the roadster.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I've got a speedometer app for my iPhone that does the same thing. Is this a dedicated device?

12. hurd300403

hurd300403 Member

The navdy somehow gets speed and G forces from the obvii port. Everything else works via Bluetooth from a phone connected. Works the way it should if you read through their site etc. no trade offs for it being a roadster vs any other car other than the gas monitoring not working ;)

13. hurd300403

hurd300403 Member

This does speed, navigation with turn by turn in the display, great interface for music control, messages are displayed and read from iMessage, email, whatever you want or don’t want. And it’s on a display that’s in line with the road so... probably safer

14. hsull8915

hsull8915 Supporting Member

Mark, you are simply the bomb. I am very excited for OVMS v3, especially since I was too late to the party to get v2. Love the idea of combining Navdy and OVMS to bring some modern tech to my Roadster, thank you for what you are doing!

• Like x 1
  15. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I don't think so. Nobody has ever found anything on that roadster OBDII port of any substance. Certainly no OBDII ECU that would respond to standard PID requests.

Are you sure it is not using an internal accelerometer and GPS? Perhaps try it in a long tunnel and vary your speed? Or cover it in tin-foil ;-)

Those GPS huds are ok, but where I live (Hong Kong) it is all tunnels and overpasses so they mostly show the wrong speed.

16. hurd300403

hurd300403 Member

intersting - I'll test that out today! it definitely has it's own GPS chip built in and it sounds like it has its own g force sensor too (seems weird tho) I cant see a G force dash option, is this pulled over OBD?

still, navy works perfectly fine (can't remember the last time I went in a tunnel) on a roadster, which was my main concern being that the OBVII port essentially only provides power.

17. miimura

miimura Active Member

You might consider the possibility that the HUD unit is only getting power from the OBD and is getting ALL the data from your phone.

18. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

If you leave your phone at home and go for a drive you might learn what comes from your phone.

19. hurd300403

hurd300403 Member

That’s unlikely to ever happen... however my new LTE Apple Watch arrives tomorrow so you never know!

20. hurd300403

hurd300403 Member

Yup! I believe you’re correct. Works fantastically.