Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navdy heads up display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
really enjoying this upgrade.

all features work and it just required a slightly custom mount... ultra sticky tape. works rock solid!

Attachments

• 4B3AE329-EB86-4E55-B799-37346207681C.jpeg
    4B3AE329-EB86-4E55-B799-37346207681C.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 401
  • 006B7585-72EE-47E1-8B75-AAA2596272E2.jpeg
    006B7585-72EE-47E1-8B75-AAA2596272E2.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 320
Will it work with Waze?
sadly, nope.

one work around is to turn on wave notifications and it will tell you when alerts come up, but that's not the best. it has built in nav using google maps and does have stop light camera alerts, speed limits, etc. it really feels like my roadster has as good or better display than my model S.... I just wish it looked more stock, but they need to iterate with slimmer hardware

• Informative
Reactions: hsull8915
Does it work with the OVMS connected to the OBD2 port at the same time?

OVMS plugs into the DIAG port. These things plug into the OBDII port. Problem is that the OBDII port on the roadster is non-functional - just power and TPMS diagnostics, nothing else.

Good news is that OVMS v3 is gonna include an OBDII ECU simulator. It will offer a OBDII port that supports OBDII dongles, HUDs, etc. The OVMS v3 talks to the car using that DIAG port, and then exposes a standard OBDII female port with an OBDII ECU simulated for things like speed, fuel consumption, etc. That should allow these things to work really well in the roadster.

OVMS plugs into the DIAG port. These things plug into the OBDII port. Problem is that the OBDII port on the roadster is non-functional - just power and TPMS diagnostics, nothing else.

Good news is that OVMS v3 is gonna include an OBDII ECU simulator. It will offer a OBDII port that supports OBDII dongles, HUDs, etc. The OVMS v3 talks to the car using that DIAG port, and then exposes a standard OBDII female port with an OBDII ECU simulated for things like speed, fuel consumption, etc. That should allow these things to work really well in the roadster.

The navdy somehow gets speed and G forces from the obvii port. Everything else works via Bluetooth from a phone connected. Works the way it should if you read through their site etc. no trade offs for it being a roadster vs any other car other than the gas monitoring not working ;)

Mark, you are simply the bomb. I am very excited for OVMS v3, especially since I was too late to the party to get v2. Love the idea of combining Navdy and OVMS to bring some modern tech to my Roadster, thank you for what you are doing!

Reactions: Mark77a
The navdy somehow gets speed and G forces from the obvii port. Everything else works via Bluetooth from a phone connected. Works the way it should if you read through their site etc. no trade offs for it being a roadster vs any other car other than the gas monitoring not working ;)

I don't think so. Nobody has ever found anything on that roadster OBDII port of any substance. Certainly no OBDII ECU that would respond to standard PID requests.

Are you sure it is not using an internal accelerometer and GPS? Perhaps try it in a long tunnel and vary your speed? Or cover it in tin-foil ;-)

Those GPS huds are ok, but where I live (Hong Kong) it is all tunnels and overpasses so they mostly show the wrong speed.

I don't think so. Nobody has ever found anything on that roadster OBDII port of any substance. Certainly no OBDII ECU that would respond to standard PID requests.

Are you sure it is not using an internal accelerometer and GPS? Perhaps try it in a long tunnel and vary your speed? Or cover it in tin-foil ;-)

Those GPS huds are ok, but where I live (Hong Kong) it is all tunnels and overpasses so they mostly show the wrong speed.

intersting - I'll test that out today! it definitely has it's own GPS chip built in and it sounds like it has its own g force sensor too (seems weird tho) I cant see a G force dash option, is this pulled over OBD?

still, navy works perfectly fine (can't remember the last time I went in a tunnel) on a roadster, which was my main concern being that the OBVII port essentially only provides power.