Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on AP Update (2019.12.1.2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
I got a chance to use Nav on AP today, my first use of it on the 2019.12.1.2 update. I drove about 40 miles in I70, good weather, moderate traffic. I set the lane change notification to none and lane change to "average". It was an absolute pleasure. The only action I needed to take was to gently tug the wheel a few times. The car did everything else, from steering in the lane, slowing down, and making several lane changes to pass slow traffic and taking exits. Nice weather, well marked highway outside of urban areas, with little or moderate traffic, is the ideal condition for Nav on AP, and where it really shines. I alternated between having one hand lightly on the wheel and sometimes, no hands on wheel for brief moments. The car smoothly entered the highway from the on ramp. The car steered perfectly in the lane. Auto lane changes were also very smooth. The car notified me of an upcoming lane change, I had a hand on the wheel, and after a second or two, the car automatically turned on the blinker and automatically changed lanes very smoothly. As I got a few miles from my exit, the car performed a smooth auto lane change back into the right lane. I was very pleased that Tesla has fixed the hard torque tug when NOA without confirmation first came out. The tug on the wheel before lane changes is light now, just like the normal AP nag. And the car of course took the exit on its own. I did have one moderate phantom braking in the left lane as I was passing a big semi truck but other than that, it was a very smooth ride, smart and smooth lane changes.

I know NOA still needs to deal with edge cases like congested traffic but for long trips, NOA is an absolute pleasure.

Last week my NoAP drove straight into another car while attempting to change lanes for an upcoming exit. I let it go farther than I usually would before intervening thinking surely it's not going to do this. The car was being displayed on the screen and everything. I bailed out after it crossed the lane line before it ran into the other cars rear quarter panel.

A couple days later I was taking a freeway interchange on NoAP. The car was exititing correctly then about three quarters of the way through it veers for the gore point. The lane was being properly displayed on the screen the whole time.

Don't even get me started on moderate traffic. They've got a long way to go in my opinion.