Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Navigate on Autopilot (beta)"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is already a few different builds with "Navigate on Autopilot (beta)" feature and there are some variations regarding how it works for each build.

If you have this feature in your build please let's exchange info how it works.

I got lucky and somehow received 2018.39.6.1 build which includes "Navigate on Autopilot". No, I am not part of Tesla's "Early Access Program". Just regular update came in 2+ weeks ago and it turned out to be with this feature. I drove on this already around 3k miles and I do enjoy this a lot. I received another update like 2 hours later but after I looked on ev-fw.com tracker I saw that a few cars that received also 2018.39.6.1 were downgraded to 2018.39.6 (without Navigate on Autopilot) so since then I am ignoring notification about new update and enjoy new feature :) Don't worry I am being extremely cautious when using it! As it seems to be in early beta stage and it tends to be uncertain in some edge cases. It works really nice in my opinion.

In this build Autopilot when Autopilot engaged in "Navigate on Autopilot" mode suggests lane changes but they need to be confirmed with either pulling autopilot stalk once (like turning on regular cruise) or turn signal/blinker stalk (but in this case you need to disengage the stalk after lane change - by confirming with autopilot stalk you don't need to do anything after lane changes). Confirmation is good for now because you want to have control when this still a bit unstable version does the lane change for you. I read there was some earlier build for "Early Access Program" people that had "Auto Confirm Lane Change" option in settings but mine doesn't have it. I like that it make a light sound and asks for confirmation of lane change for now. You need to engage "Navigate on Autopilot" every time you start driving by clicking it also once on the map direction menu to engage it for this drive. Otherwise it is regular autopilot. This settings remain on when you disengage and re-engage autopilot with the autopilot stalk while driving so no need to click it all the time it if you don't want to disable.

in Autopilot menu under "Navigate on Autopilot (beta)" there is submenu called "Customize Navigate on Autopilot" where you can choose settings for "Speed Based Lane Changes" - options are: disabled, mild, average and mad max. From my experience it doesn't affect any safety of changing lane. System for now seems to be a little over cautions in changing lane. So after you confirm advised lane change it waits for enough room for you in adjacent lane before it make the change. Regular driver needs less space than autopilot needs so it is hard for it to make the lane change yet. I like that it analyzes situation at that moment and either speed up and pass car on the side to change lane or slow down to let the car on the side go... it works pretty much very well. Only complain that sometimes it keeps waiting and blinking to change lane even though there is enough space. Well, it is very early stage for this.

So what these options Mild, Average and Mad Max really mean. It just means that when you are cruising on autopilot in Navigate on Autopilot mode and your set max speed for autopilot is higher than speed of the car in front of you autopilot detects that adjacent lane is faster and asks you to confirm lane change to faster lane. So these few options actually regulate how soon after detecting faster lane autopilot wants to change lane. In all settings the space needed and behavior of actual lane change after confirming is pretty much the same. So it is not that mad max is insane close call lane change... it just wants to change lanes more frequently. I tend to like to use it on either Mad Max or Average mode. Tesla needs to work on space needed for lane changes because autopilot wants to have too much space that other drivers would never give you and just ignore your blinker to change lane.... sometimes also even if there is enough space potentially it attempts to change lane even though there is a car fast approaching in adjacent lane... so then actually there is not enough space and autopilot attempts lane change forcing right way... it needs to "look" further behind for lane change and estimate properly speed difference between us and car that is in adjacent lane to see if it is enough distance and space.

Suggested lane changes in LA area are pretty nice and I am a dynamic driver so it fits my needs pretty nice and I would say 99% of the moments I would drive same way manually. So I like to just confirm lane change with autopilot stalk. It really works nice!

Another thing is that it takes exits and transition to another freeway on its own without confirming maneuver with autopilot stalk. The pre-required condition for this is that you confirmed lane changes to get the car to lane it wanted to be for that moment. It picks correct lane to get you there. So when exit approaches and you are in the right lane it just turns blinker and takes exit without your input at all. It takes correctly left and right exits. Same transitions to another freeway. If lane splits into 2 it just turns blinker and keeps the correct side. No need to confirm with autopilot stalk. Pretty neat.

Here on our facebook page you can find some of videos and pictures of "Navigate on Autopilot" in action taken during last 2 weeks of using it :) www.facebook.com/mojateslax

so what other builds other than 2018.39.6.1 have this Navigate on Autopilot?

@unpollo2 yes you are right about HOV lanes... I noticed the same that even if my exit was like 4 miles ahead after entering freeway autopilot guided a few time to the HOV lane and then back to exit... so basically it was just barely enough time to get to HOV and get our to make it to the exit. It is really hard to make all these decisions for NN so I bet it will improve over time. In my opinion in most cases it does perform very well anyway.

Which software build are you on?

So looks like “navigate on autopilot” or “drive autopilot on navigation” is rolling out widely already.... is it in this 2018.42.2 build that showed up on tracker today? Anyone has it?

Attachments

• CD3EBF33-BC85-4900-BB73-8ECF35A9FE3C.png
    CD3EBF33-BC85-4900-BB73-8ECF35A9FE3C.png
    405.7 KB · Views: 120
I finally hit the "update" button that was nagging at me for last 2+ weeks.... and! that's what I thought... it downgraded me yesterday to 2018.39.6 taking the "Navigate on Autopilot" feature out... it seems that ignored by me update downloaded 2+ weeks ago was blocking any newer updates to come... it had to be first installed. This morning I got notification about new update again and I got to 2018.40 and couple hours later another notification took me to 2018.42.2. So with this one I am back with Navigate on Autopilot... I already missed it for not having it one day lol. Well, 2018.42.2 just installed so I haven't had chance to compare to 2018.39.6.1 performance of this feature... but I will do some driving tomorrow for sure :)

Tried out "navigate on autopilot" on my morning commute. Doesn't do as well in heavy traffic. Engaged it in the fast lane of a 3 lane busy highway, and it functioned fine while in that lane, but within 2 miles of my exit it couldn't find a big enough opening to move to the right and disengaged. After I got over to the right lane, I re-engaged it, and it took the exit (auto-signaled too) and on ramp to the next highway (much less traveled toll road) no sweat. Very cool! There, it suggested passing a slow minivan in front of me, and a simple touch of the turn signal stalk initiated the pass. Another initiated the move back to the right to take my exit. It then warned me the fun was over, and disengaged on the exit ramp as I approached a stop light.

The one thing I don't like about TACC is the clunky way it ends. The accelerator doesn't move when on cruise control like it does on ICE cars, so when you have to take over you don't know how far down you need to press to maintain speed.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
E265453A-7547-4A67-B1D7-E63B43B81408.jpeg

I’m probably being too charitable because I’m so amazed by this auto lane change stuff is pretty incredible. You get a nice blue line showing where it thinks it should go.

And it does the lane changes pretty well. It even says it doesn’t work in tunnels and disengaged.

Sorry the image is blurry. Was jostling my phone :) the Lane changes here in moderate traffic made sense. I was in the fast lane and it switched properly and then exited. I can see how this would be hard in heavy traffic but kind of amazing.

Also the vehicle detection again at least for me was quite good. Seemed to see more parked vehicles when I got off the freeway

Traffic wasn't quite as heavy today and the lane change worked fine crossing from fast lane over two lanes (one at a time - seems to give itself almost a mile per lane change) and exiting the highway. Someone here said you need to click the turn signal all the way down/up to initiate the lane change, but you only need to do the temporary signal (not click). Then it changes lanes with no further action on your part.

I still get a kick out of the turn signal coming on by itself upon freeway exit for some reason. It just strikes me as really cool, even though it's basic compared to all the other aspects of EAP.