Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot did not nag to keep hands on the wheel..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
or perhaps i'm misusing the terms .. our 2020 model 3 comes with FSD ..

so i'm calling TACC just regular old autopilot. (keeps the lane, and reacts to traffic speed).
TACC = Traffic Aware Cruise Control. This only handles the speed.
Autosteer keeps your car centered in the lane

Autopilot is the combination of TACC and Autosteer.

FSD = Full Self Driving and adds several features (Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, etc.)

Read all the details here.

So, I tried this on the way home, and Autosteer would not engage with just a screen tap on The Navigate on Autopilot button. Are you getting the blue steering wheel when you do it that way? I tried several times, including on a freeway - turned on TACC, then pressed the NoA button and Autosteer did not engage. The button turns blue meaning it’s available, but no blue steering wheel meaning it is engaged.

if that is the case, she wasn’t getting nags because Autosteer wasn’t actually on.

what software do you have? I am on 2019.36.2.4

The display went from double blue lines -- to a single blue line .. so the navigate on autopilot was on (and it was doing the right thing)

so i'm calling TACC just regular old autopilot. (keeps the lane, and reacts to traffic speed).

and then there is FSD which is navigate on autopilot.

for me FSD nags ALL the time, i just dont put enough force on the wheel when i rest my left hand on the bottom of the wheel with my elbow on the door arm rest.

i still haven't had a chance to re-test .. but this morning it appeared that my wife never got nagged, and she had fully let go of the steering wheel while on TACC -- i then enabled FSD, and still no nag. -- but perhaps i just imagined it .. so i need to re-test

That is definitely misusing the terms, in a fashion that will continue to cause a great deal of confusion if you don’t change.

TACC is Traffic Aware Cruise Control - Tesla’s specific variation of ACC - Adaptive Cruise Control, which is only about controlling speed, nothing to do with steering. Hence a steering nag isn’t possible unless you have LDA or ELDA intervene, and you really need to keep steering while under TACC.

AP (AutoPilot) is TACC plus Autosteer.

NoA (Navigate on Autopilot) still isn’t FSD - Full Self Driving, which is a promise for the future rather than a specific operational feature right now. NoA is just the car deciding when to change lanes and take off ramps while under AP.

So what I think you’re saying is you get a lot more nags when driving with NoA than with just AP. Unless you’re counting the ones when it wants to change lanes, that’s not normal.

NoA does explicitly makes a wheel check every time it goes to change lanes, even (especially?) if confirmation is turned off.

The display went from double blue lines -- to a single blue line .. so the navigate on autopilot was on (and it was doing the right thing)

If the display already had double blue lines, you were already in autosteer, not just TACC. There are no blue lines for TACC only. So you were going from Autosteer to NoA, not from TACC to NoA when this bug happened.

I had the exact same experience when I first got the car. If i remember correctly, this lasted for about 3 days. I wish it would've lasted forever. I have an hour commute to work each way and NOA would take me all the way to and from no nag.

Eventually the calibration sets in and the nagging will come. I posted on the forum about it too because I was surprised as well.

and then there is FSD which is navigate on autopilot.

for me FSD nags ALL the time, i just dont put enough force on the wheel when i rest my left hand on the bottom of the wheel with my elbow on the door arm rest.

i still haven't had a chance to re-test .. but this morning it appeared that my wife never got nagged, and she had fully let go of the steering wheel while on TACC -- i then enabled FSD, and still no nag. -- but perhaps i just imagined it .. so i need to re-test
Yes, you are using the wrong terms.

You could probably make a small mint if you could figure out which sensor to disconnect for that behavior. :)

I wish I knew. I thought is was a software bug or something and would eventually be fixed in a firmware update but its been about 8 months of updates and nothing. When you first enable Autosteer it will display the warning message on the screen to keep your hands on the wheel but after that initial message it never nags. Nothing pops up on the screen, the background never turns blue and starts flashing, no audible alerts, nothing. So, it is either has no sensor, unplugged sensor, busted sensor, etc., eventually someone will figure it out. I am not sure if I have a unicorn or if there will eventually be a recall or something.