Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on autopilot drives like a drunk - won’t keep straight in a single lane.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed this to a lesser degree -- I don't think any passengers would notice, but driving straight down a straight highway I can feel the steering wheel go left, right, left, right, left, right, like it's oscillating between the left and right lane markers. It hasn't improved much in 2k miles.
Same here. Subtle oscillation at around 0.5 to 1 Hz. My guess is that the automatic steering is too strong, which causes an over-correction and subsequent oscillation.

The only other things to consider are check your lug nuts. Make sure they're all torqued to spec, 129 ft-lbs. And, check your alignment. Maybe the car is toeing out on both fronts, causing it to wander and requiring steering inputs to keep it straight.

The only other things to consider are check your lug nuts. Make sure they're all torqued to spec, 129 ft-lbs. And, check your alignment. Maybe the car is toeing out on both fronts, causing it to wander and requiring steering inputs to keep it straight.
That's an interesting and potentially accurate possibility, but most normal humans do not possess the tools needed to check this, nor is it to be expected that a new car would have a problem in this area. I'm not really about to buy the tools or schedule service for this. It's just a mild irritant.

Something to bear in mind though when the next tire rotation comes up though...

I think it's 'normal' behavior for it to constantly 'correct', which comes down to a subtle but detectable movement every second. As long as it stays centered, I would simply accept it as the way that it currently works. Sometimes I find it is more work keeping vigilant enough to take over if it misbehaves, than it is to simply steer the car yourself - my brain always wants to wander away from driving if it is not completely engaged. After a while the autopilot trains your brain's neural network on what to expect and when to expect it, especially if you repeatedly drive the same roads - then you learn when and how much to trust it.

Reactions: Pegann
My auto steering is rock solid. I've had my car for a year with 14,000 miles. This car will steer far better than manual steering. Initially I had some problems with on and off ramps where the line on the left would disappear. The car would want to wander to the left. But no so much anymore. It gets better and better over time. Love it. Just signed up for full autopilot.

That's an interesting and potentially accurate possibility, but most normal humans do not possess the tools needed to check this, nor is it to be expected that a new car would have a problem in this area. I'm not really about to buy the tools or schedule service for this. It's just a mild irritant.

Something to bear in mind though when the next tire rotation comes up though...
Torque wrenches aren't all that expensive, $40? And, lots of tire shops will put your car up on their jig to measure your alignment for free. But first inspect your tires carefully. Toeing issues will show up as feathering of the inner tread blocks. So, if there's no asymmetric wear on your tires, then you probably don't need to have your tires aligned. Was just thinking out loud about other possibilities since not everyone's problem is routine.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to drive my future-son-in-law's Model 3. His is identical to mine, purchased just days after I got mine (May '19). The trip was 70 miles, mostly freeway. His M3 had no ping-pong at all. Mine does at times, enough that passengers ask what's going on. It's not just after an update but can happen at any time, usually for several miles then quits for a while. So there IS something different from one car to the next, and the next time I'm in for service that will be one thing I will ask them to look into.

Another irritant that was not present in his M3... those minute speed changes when following a car. In mine I can feel it making abrupt speed changes as it tries to maintain distance from the car ahead. It's not much but enough to feel, and isn't present all the time. His was smooth as silk the entire trip. It's as though the software smoothing algorithm is being skipped over in mine.

My point is that it performs poorly when it cannot even stay in a lane on a highway with lane “markers” that a child could follow easily.And that it is dangerous if it makes idiotic decisions when it fails due to its primitive vision.

Have to go with @mcbarnet007. Video, or it didn't happen. :D

You describe an edge case (double wide lane with no markings) and use dramatic language to say the autopilot is dangerous. Only thing missing is the multiple exclamation points.

Have to go with @mcbarnet007. Video, or it didn't happen. :D

You describe an edge case (double wide lane with no markings) and use dramatic language to say the autopilot is dangerous. Only thing missing is the multiple exclamation points.
Video or it didn't happen.

Also, I would take the car and get it aligned. With the correct alignment, the car will travel dead center down a straight flat freeway even without AP.

New M3P delivered Sept. 30th, 2019. Immediately took on road trip, lane swerve occurred frequently ~1300 miles.

Imgur

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I think it's 'normal' behavior for it to constantly 'correct', which comes down to a subtle but detectable movement every second. As long as it stays centered, I would simply accept it as the way that it currently works.
While I agree that AP is constantly evaluating the road and making subtle steering corrections — at a rate far faster than a human is capable of — I do not find those corrections to be detectable by me “every second”. It’s much less frequent than that.

My auto steering is rock solid. I've had my car for a year with 14,000 miles. This car will steer far better than manual steering.
That is my experience. I have about the same mileage on my 3, and almost triple that on my X which also has EAP.

New M3P delivered Sept. 30th, 2019. Immediately took on road trip, lane swerve occurred frequently ~1300 miles.

Imgur

This video gives zero context. It could be you driving or there could be weird markings on the road. Easist way is to record the video is to mount a gopro upside down on the roof glass so the steering wheel, the screen and the road markings are all easily visible. If there truely is a problem, schedule an appointment with service center and show them the video.

You're right that it's not proof of anything, and I could also post the front-facing camera, but ultimately I was just showing an example of the numerous times FSD crossed lane lines. It could be me driving, but it's not, and you're welcome to take that at face value or not. Skepticism on the internet is healthy, and I appreciate yours.

FWIW the visualization in-car shows the lines, and the vehicle crossing them, clearly in each of these situations which include driving in a straight line between clearly marked lanes.

I do plan on speaking to Tesla about it at my next service appointment, but I just figured FSD was hyped up like Summon. Still pretty cool as a driver assist function, but based on the amount of times it wanted to swerve me out of my lane into cars typically on the left side of me I've quit using it while other vehicles are around.

You're right that it's not proof of anything, and I could also post the front-facing camera, but ultimately I was just showing an example of the numerous times FSD crossed lane lines. It could be me driving, but it's not, and you're welcome to take that at face value or not. Skepticism on the internet is healthy, and I appreciate yours.

FWIW the visualization in-car shows the lines, and the vehicle crossing them, clearly in each of these situations which include driving in a straight line between clearly marked lanes.

I do plan on speaking to Tesla about it at my next service appointment, but I just figured FSD was hyped up like Summon. Still pretty cool as a driver assist function, but based on the amount of times it wanted to swerve me out of my lane into cars typically on the left side of me I've quit using it while other vehicles are around.

I am not doubting you, it's just that the side repeater doesn't show much context and you won't get any help from service center with videos like these. I personally have over 3 years and 40k miles with AP and I have only experienced this swerving behavior under the following circumstances: 1. High cross wind. 2. A car gets too close in adjacent lane. 3.bad alignment causing car to not self center and causes AP to constantly needing to adjust itself. Also are the lanes on the freeway wide or narrow?

I am not doubting you, it's just that the side repeater doesn't show much context and you won't get any help from service center with videos like these. I personally have over 3 years and 40k miles with AP and I have only experienced this swerving behavior under the following circumstances: 1. High cross wind. 2. A car gets too close in adjacent lane. 3.bad alignment causing car to not self center and causes AP to constantly needing to adjust itself. Also are the lanes on the freeway wide or narrow?

1. I was wondering if wind was a factor, but I doubt that was it in most of these cases.

2. I quit using it when other cars were around, as previously stated, so I was able to reproduce the behavior repeatedly with no other vehicles around me. I would also expect it to swerve away from other cars, and not towards them in this scenario, as I experienced when I noticed the behavior with other cars around.

3. I'm pretty sure I confirmed alignment was fine by driving without autosteer, but I'd want to double check before asserting that definitively. Also if it were alignment I would expect it to be leaving its lane more often than it does. Usually it sits centered.

I've certainly noticed the wide lane swerving, but in those cases it seemed to be centering itself between the wider lines. This was happening in normal, clearly marked, straight or slightly curved lanes.

The USB stick is still in my car at the moment, but I'll pull it later to see if I can find some of the videos showing the various different scenarios from different angles.

I appreciate your input!

Reactions: mcbarnet007

Imgur
That's terrible. Definitely need it checked. The road didn't look grooved. The lines seemed straight enough. How did the image on the screen look, is the car swerving over the blue lines? Do the lines stay in place, or are they moving about?

That's terrible. Definitely need it checked. The road didn't look grooved. The lines seemed straight enough. How did the image on the screen look, is the car swerving over the blue lines? Do the lines stay in place, or are they moving about?

The on-screen visualization shows the vehicle crossing the lane lines. Since it's navigating on autopilot the blue line is down the center of the lane. I specifically looked for the lines moving about in at least one scenario and did not feel they were doing so.

Here's the front-facing camera, fwiw.

Imgur

Another irritant that was not present in his M3... those minute speed changes when following a car. In mine I can feel it making abrupt speed changes as it tries to maintain distance from the car ahead. It's not much but enough to feel, and isn't present all the time. His was smooth as silk the entire trip. It's as though the software smoothing algorithm is being skipped over in mine.

I notice the exact same problem. Before someone suggests it, I do have my throttle setting on chill.

The pulsing is bad enough that I get nauseated on TACC in any sort of traffic. Wide open road it's fine. Above 40MPH it is pretty good, but get below that and I have to turn TACC off so I can get the car to "drive like a sober human" and not a drunk that can't control it's foot.

Definitely looks bad in the video.

Quite often when the car is confused as to where the line is, I see on screen the lines (can be left or right lines or both) wiggling back and forth.
Auto Steer behaves a little like this (though not as bad) in those conditions. When the screen shows non-moving lines on the left and right Auto Steer tracks perfectly for me. As a result I tend to only use it based on the small screen display.

Your example seems far worse than what I am describing as typical though, must be something out of alignment (the car, the cameras, etc...) I would request a service appt.