Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on autopilot drives like a drunk - won’t keep straight in a single lane.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To follow up on this I chatted with Tesla support online to see if they could retrigger the Autosteering calibration, and they said they were able to see alerts indicating an adjustment (potentially a "slight steering adjustment") is needed to remedy the issue. I have a service appointment scheduled for 2019-10-25 and will report back the results.

Reactions: KenC
M3 performance with 3,000 miles. Cameras recalibrated themselves last week. AP is damn near flawless. Drove to the Oregon Coast this weekend. The car limited top speed due numerous 30 mph curves. It would auto-brake upon approaching them. Make sure your cameras are clean.

To follow up on this I chatted with Tesla support online to see if they could retrigger the Autosteering calibration, and they said they were able to see alerts indicating an adjustment (potentially a "slight steering adjustment") is needed to remedy the issue. I have a service appointment scheduled for 2019-10-25 and will report back the results.
Any updates after the service appointment? Experiencing the same issue very often, since the first update from v9 to v10 (11.1). Still not resolved with 12.2 or latest 2.1 since Monday. Tried different distance/acceleration settings and cleaned the cameras a few times; no luck.
M3 performance with 3,000 miles. Cameras recalibrated themselves last week. AP is damn near flawless. Drove to the Oregon Coast this weekend. The car limited top speed due numerous 30 mph curves. It would auto-brake upon approaching them. Make sure your cameras are clean.
Was the recalibration triggered? Was there an indication of the calibration process?

Reactions: glumster
Was waiting to do some more experimentation before reporting back. Ultimately service said everything was fine at 5pm on a Friday after holding it a week and saying the video was definitely not normal. They immediately closed the case without allowing me an opportunity to ask questions, informing me my key would be under the floor mat so I could pick it up the next day when service was closed. It was… uh… Time Warner level. :rolleyes:

It does seem to be performing a bit better with lane departure correction enabled, but still seems to be misbehaving, unless this is normal:

Drunk or Autopilot?

I got my car pretty much at the same time v10 was made available to it, so can't really compare v9 to v10 from personal experience.

Reactions: Geo_TM3
Also, unless I'm dramatically misunderstanding how it works, I'd think the in-car visualization showing the car crossing the lane markings would preclude the possibility that it's a dirty camera problem. Nonetheless I've also experienced this reliably after cleaning the cameras.

Was waiting to do some more experimentation before reporting back. Ultimately service said everything was fine at 5pm on a Friday after holding it a week and saying the video was definitely not normal. They immediately closed the case without allowing me an opportunity to ask questions, informing me my key would be under the floor mat so I could pick it up the next day when service was closed. It was… uh… Time Warner level. :rolleyes:
Scheduled an appointment earlier for remote data analysis of bugreports I saved in the two weeks before.

Preliminary diagnosis was that there could be something wrong with the front radar; I was asked to bring it car in for a physical check of the radar and a possible 'drive cycle calibration'.

After few hours they got me a loaner S, as it would be taking longer than expected. Asked for an update few days later, but diagnosis was still inconclusive. Last thursday I was informed a computer was on special order, so I'd guess its a faulty HW3 chip...

Will try and ask for any details if I pick it up on Monday. The loaner S was great for AP comparison, haven't experienced the same effects as with my 3. AP was driving rocksolid. Its a 2015/2016 pre facelift model, so I guess HW2 or HW2.5 at 2019.36.2.7. Unfortunately its way too large to park here, so I'd rather await computer replacement with my crippled 3 instead of the S:(

Reactions: KenC and glumster
The loaner S was great for AP comparison, haven't experienced the same effects as with my 3. AP was driving rocksolid. Its a 2015/2016 pre facelift model, so I guess HW2 or HW2.5 at 2019.36.2.7.

April 2016 is when they did the S facelift.

October 2016 is when HW2 began shipping.

So you have an AP1 loaner- one camera only, and shorter range radar and ultrasonics.

• Informative
Reactions: Geo_TM3
Scheduled an appointment earlier for remote data analysis of bugreports I saved in the two weeks before.

Preliminary diagnosis was that there could be something wrong with the front radar; I was asked to bring it car in for a physical check of the radar and a possible 'drive cycle calibration'.

After few hours they got me a loaner S, as it would be taking longer than expected. Asked for an update few days later, but diagnosis was still inconclusive. Last thursday I was informed a computer was on special order, so I'd guess its a faulty HW3 chip...

Will try and ask for any details if I pick it up on Monday. The loaner S was great for AP comparison, haven't experienced the same effects as with my 3. AP was driving rocksolid. Its a 2015/2016 pre facelift model, so I guess HW2 or HW2.5 at 2019.36.2.7. Unfortunately its way too large to park here, so I'd rather await computer replacement with my crippled 3 instead of the S:(

Great update. Thanks for sharing, and please let us know what happens!

Thanks everyone. It did seem a bit better on the 180 mile drive home today, although traffic was heavier so there were cars to follow. Still did the swerve to some degree, but not nearly as bad and more intermittent. I also experienced the wide lane / lane merge issue to the point it kicked off AP a couple times. That issue definitely needs to be fixed.
I've had my car for 7 months.
I still have the wide Lane merge issue too, it's trying to center itself between the lanes. It would be nice if they could fix that. Otherwise not too much problem. But I generally only use AP on the highways where the roads are not too challenging and stop and go traffic. Very useful

I think it's 'normal' behavior for it to constantly 'correct', which comes down to a subtle but detectable movement every second. As long as it stays centered, I would simply accept it as the way that it currently works. Sometimes I find it is more work keeping vigilant enough to take over if it misbehaves, than it is to simply steer the car yourself - my brain always wants to wander away from driving if it is not completely engaged. After a while the autopilot trains your brain's neural network on what to expect and when to expect it, especially if you repeatedly drive the same roads - then you learn when and how much to trust it.
That was awesome