Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate On Autopilot Fork Initiation now required in Europe. (UN/ECE Reg. 79)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joexn

Banned
Sep 17, 2021
UK
As part of the 2022.16.1 update, Navigate On Autopilot forks now require driver-imitation in Europe due to noncompliance of UN/ECE Reg. 79.

Navigate On Autopilot Fork Initiation

Navigate on Autopilot has been updated to require a driver-initiated request before the vehicle will select a motorway exit or interchange. This driver-initiated request can be made by using the turn signal stalk shortly before the lateral maneuver is required. Please remain attentive and ready to initiate these maneuvers to remain on the navigation route. This update serves as a remedy to a noncompliance recall of the prior capability (not requiring a driver-initiated request) and only affects vehicles with the Navigate on Autopilot feature in markets that apply European (ECE) regulation.

The updates notes are available here but I've copied them above.

Likely what Musk hinted at during one of the financial webcasts with the fix implemented in time for March, though only finding its way to UK vehicles now.

It's frustrating to see the increasing development progress in the US, while ECE restrictions continue to throttle progress and endanger drivers with timeouts.

Likely what Musk hinted at during one of the financial webcasts with the fix implemented in time for March, though only finding its way to UK vehicles now.

It's frustrating to see the increasing development progress in the US, while ECE restrictions continue to throttle progress and endanger drivers with timeouts.
I think you're mistaken, Elon said there would be improvements to Autopilot outside of the US in March. No improvements yet! He tweeted this as well.

He tweeted recently raising possibility again. May just be coincidental timing aligning with last regulation review in mid-March and the 2022.12 update arriving in June enforcing Reg. 79 per their recall request.
That's relating to a comment he made at the Giga Berlin Q&A about FSD Beta. He has only mentioned AP improvements in Europe twice which is separate from FSD Beta.

I suppose having FSD option I'm open to either, but appreciate how he raised hopes for those with AP/EAP.
Even though you have FSD, it will still take roughly 1-2 years to get on the beta after it's launched. Plus, he mentioned EU regulators and the UK isn't in the EU anymore so Tesla would need to make a RHD version and present it to the UK.

We'd have a much better advantage if we were LHD.

The UK still voluntarily adheres to UN/ECE automotive regulation though, which is why I lost auto-exit today. It's not an EU-specific thing, even though that's where it originates.

I got the sense his focus on US first was more to improve FSD for a whole region such that it could be demonstrated as safe at wide scale to help convince other countries' regulators - so yes, that'll likely begin with LHD countries.

Last edited:
The UK still voluntarily adheres to UN/ECE automotive regulation though, which is why I lost auto-exit today. It's not an EU-specific thing, even though that's where it originates.

I got the sense his focus on US first was more to improve FSD for a whole region such that it could be demonstrated as safe at wide scale to help convince other countries' regulators - so yes, that'll likely begin with LHD countries.
Whilst you're partially correct, we inherited the EU law that implemented the ECE regulations. But now we've left the EU, Tesla will need to present it to UK regulators separately and Elon has only ever mentioned EU regulators.

Tesla have made it clear they don't want to push UN for changes but would rather work with local governments and regulators to get the system approved.

Norway will be the first country in Europe to receive FSD Beta and they should give Tesla provisional approval for FSD Beta towards the end of the year. RHD will take months after LHD approval and that depends on if Tesla want to approach the UK for approval.

The Department for Transport are waiting for Tesla - but Tesla aren't interested in the UK yet.

And whats wrong with R157? It's awesome. We just need OEMs to solve the tech.
Manufacturers will not be happy with having to take full responsibility and liability for any collisions.

The KBA are continuing to investigate Autopilot and they said that more changes will need to be made to Autopilot to ensure it's compliant otherwise Autopilot will be disabled on all cars under ECE restrictions. I highly doubt they're going to change much with the new regulations if they're still limiting stuff that has been available for 3 years.