Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate On Autopilot - Hugs Yellow Divider On Left

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently taken delivery of a long range Model 3 2021 and started to work with Navigate On Autopilot. One thing I noticed is that on Arizona's state roads that are two lane, the car hugs the yellow divider lane. It feels unsafe to me. I've also noticed that when driving past an entrance where the lines on the road are wider, the car will drift to the right to center in that area and then slowly center as the lane markers get back to normal. Also, there are times when the car will suddenly slow down or apply brakes and I can't understand why.

Anybody experience these things?

NOA/FSD is still a work-in-progress. It has gotten better over the years but there still can be some hiccups ("phantom braking", hugging lines when you don't want it to, then re-positioning the car in the center of the lane when it temporarily gets much wider than normal). There's many, many threads here and on other Tesla forums that describe what you are experiencing.

NOA/FSD is still a work-in-progress. It has gotten better over the years but there still can be some hiccups ("phantom braking", hugging lines when you don't want it to, then re-positioning the car in the center of the lane when it temporarily gets much wider than normal). There's many, many threads here and on other Tesla forums that describe what you are experiencing.
Glad to hear there is a experiential baseline.

I actually had a service request about this a few months back. Some one from service called me several times to ask more detailed info . I sent them pics and gave them map locations and all kinds of info. they seemed truly interested...

At any rate, with this condition bothering me since I got the car, I finally started to piece this situation together:

When there is s double center line, the car seems to center it self between the far center line and the edge of the road which makes it a lot closer to the center line ( to me,a few inches here feels like a LOT).
When its a single center line the car centers in the lane.

Have you noticed if the double center line affects it on your car?

I have a thread on here with pics and everything back when i figured this out , but I am not sure how to post links to it...sorry about that.

On straight roads, I discovered that, manually, I tend to track to the right, away from the yellow line. My 2021 M3 tracks straight in the middle of the lane, which feels like it is too far over towards the center-line. Curves are a different story. It seems to handle right curves just fine, but it definitely hugs the center-line on left curves.

I actually had a service request about this a few months back. Some one from service called me several times to ask more detailed info . I sent them pics and gave them map locations and all kinds of info. they seemed truly interested...

At any rate, with this condition bothering me since I got the car, I finally started to piece this situation together:

When there is s double center line, the car seems to center it self between the far center line and the edge of the road which makes it a lot closer to the center line ( to me,a few inches here feels like a LOT).
When its a single center line the car centers in the lane.

Have you noticed if the double center line affects it on your car?

I have a thread on here with pics and everything back when i figured this out , but I am not sure how to post links to it...sorry about that.
Nice to hear they were interested in it.

I have experienced the same think you are writing about regarding single and double center lines.

What gets me is the sense of speed I get when driving my M3. I have been driving the same Honda Accord since 1998. When I would go 80 in it, I never got a sense of speed, just a kind of lumbering along. With my M3, at 80, the sense of speed is very intense.

On straight roads, I discovered that, manually, I tend to track to the right, away from the yellow line. My 2021 M3 tracks straight in the middle of the lane, which feels like it is too far over towards the center-line. Curves are a different story. It seems to handle right curves just fine, but it definitely hugs the center-line on left curves.
Mine too. It gets way to close to the center line for my comfort.