TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Navigate On Autopilot in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Nuclear Fusion, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Nuclear Fusion

Thread to post your experiences whether they be good or bad, it’s shortcomings & suggestions for improvement

• Like x 1
  2. longzheng

longzheng Member

I tested on two trips within metro Melbourne. Both poor experiences ☹️

In one instance it totally misses the exit because it thinks the exit is from the second lane from the left which is technically possible.

In another instance it also misses the exit because it can’t change lanes because the lane markings are solid lines by the time it wants to change to the leftmost lane to exit (indicating does nothing since it just cancels when lanes are solid).

3. Nuclear Fusion

How are the regular lane changes? What setting did you have?

4. longzheng

longzheng Member

Regular lane changes are fine. My lane change setting requires confirmation and is on average.

5. SR22DRIVER

SR22DRIVER Member

works reasonably on the motorway and using exits. I have used it on three occasions and it seems acceptable. Does not do will on roundabouts after the exit. Lane changing has been good, with setting on “average”

Not so good in metro areas, in particular where single turning lane goes to dual lane.

6. James_B

James_B Member

I would say that's expected, it's designed for on-ramp to off-ramp, nothing before or after that - that's FSD territory.

7. Munka

Munka Member

I'm glad I have it as a demonstration of what the tech can do, but I think I will leave it off by default. It seems to be a little erratic, although not dangerously so, but I also have issues with exits, in fact one time it got right near the exit before putting the right hand blinker on. I think the car thought it was in the USA!

Of recent updates I am actually finding summon by keyfob and sentry mode turning on automatically except at home or favourites to be a lot more useful. Also phantom braking seems to be almost eliminated which was my biggest gripe before.

Being an EAP owner, I feel I definitely have what I paid for now, and couldn't be happier overall, but NoA itself is an interesting novelty so far, little more.

• Informative x 1
  8. Grenadine

Grenadine Member

It is godly good on long trips. Did Brisbane to Coffs Harbour this morning and was amazing. Though the newly opened parts (that are not on the updated maps yet) tripped it up.

• Informative x 1
  9. paulp

paulp Active Member

Dont forget we’re getting traffic light recognition last year

• Funny x 2
  10. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

I was excited to try it but disappointed with its performance (M3). For some obscure reason it kept on wanting to overtake even though the designated off ramp was <1km away.

I initially had it on mad max setting but dialed it back to average but the behavior still persisted. As we approached off ramps - if there was a slower car in front it wanted to overtake on the right. On one occasion I let it and after overtaking it did a sharp left onto the off ramp cutting off the car it had just overtaken..

Then on a lot of occasions it failed to take the off ramp.

I am sure it will get there - just at the moment is early days (same for smart summon).

• Informative x 1
  11. Nuclear Fusion

So, that wouldn’t be taking any interchanges, just make highway driving easier?

12. Grenadine

Grenadine Member

It will take interchanges between highways no problem but it is not like that happens often in most places in Australia.

on another note, it does not currently activate in huge swathes on the Pacific
    Highway between Brisbane and Sydney including many 110 kph zones. No doubt a mapping issue but one that should be fixed spins as I would have thought it was one of the prime use cases in the country.

13. LDCRS

LDCRS Member

I'm assuming in these situations is better for you cancel the lane change so that the neural net can learn.

14. Brissienew

Brissienew Member

Are we talking about the feature that Tesla sells for $7000 or the standard autopilot?

15. Kiwiadventure

Kiwiadventure Member

Navigate On Autopilot in Australia is full self driving ($7000)

16. Furfy

Furfy Member

NOA is part of the FSD package which is $8500 AUD. Unsure where the $7000 reference is from.

17. TASKA9

TASKA9 Member

The original price when ordering Model 3 back in early June this year. Actually it's $7100.

18. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

Yes - I did end up cancelling a lot of lane changes but I found that if you cancel them then they often come back 10s later. Part of this may also me learning what the car is trying to do.

It is not as obvious as 'traditional' autopilot where there there is almost an instantaneous connection between what the car does and the environment. NOA was often prompting for a lane change that seemed out of place at the time but a km or so later you could see what it was trying to do (lanes merging for example).

19. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

Our Model X (AP2.5) that we had to pay like $7k for AutoPilot does not have a license (we have not paid) for FSD however is working with “Navigate on AutoPilot”.

20. Kiwiadventure

Kiwiadventure Member

Please explain what NOA does for your X. Does your X change lanes when ever it wants too and does it drive to and down the map selected motorway off ramp.