Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate On Autopilot in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah really - fully optioned $320k OTR in Victoria, first shipment.

I hope I am not being rude by pointing out the obvious. The was no way a model X should have been worth 300k, or even 200k. They were only bought by early adopters who weren't concerned about depreciation. I bought a SR+, the cheapest Tesla, because being the cheapest model, it will depreciate the least amount over time, and I fully expect EV's to become cheaper in the next few years.

I hope I am not being rude by pointing out the obvious. The was no way a model X should have been worth 300k, or even 200k. They were only bought by early adopters who weren't concerned about depreciation. I bought a SR+, the cheapest Tesla, because being the cheapest model, it will depreciate the least amount over time, and I fully expect EV's to become cheaper in the next few years.
Yes - but think of the number of years of Tesla you have missed out on.

I drove from Newcastle to Sydney in the pouring rain for my first proper try at NoA.

Autopilot and NoA lane finding/keeping are very smooth in the current world iteration of the software.

The automatic wipers were working well.

There was not a lot of time spent in NoA because of the bad weather. The car turns off NoA but keeps Autopilot running when it decides it cannot see well enough. There was a lot of spray as well as the rain when it gave up.

If conditions are really disgusting - 3 lanes of heavy traffic at highway speeds with rain and spray - it will give up on Autopilot and Cruise Control too.

I wasn’t so struck by the Autopilot packing it in because of the camera dependency, but I was surprised that it was not happy to just rely on radar for the cruise control.

The periods when the system was out were short and the conditions truly appalling. It is another thing I will have my eye on as the software evolves.

I didn’t have problems with phantom braking during the trip.

I hope I am not being rude by pointing out the obvious. The was no way a model X should have been worth 300k, or even 200k
You are being rude. Are you trying to make the depreciation hurt even more?
Teslas were new and very, very special, and there were NO competitors.
And the only reason you were able to buy your Model 3 is because the super early adopters supported the company.
You're welcome.

The was no way a model X should have been worth 300k, or even 200k
Never say never. This precursor gull wing was bought new in 1955 for $7,295 & sold in 2012 for $4.62m.
137813_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: EcoCloudIT
I tried NOA between Canberra and Sydney recently.

I think there’s something wrong with the map data, because Tessie would frequently insist on changing to the right lane to follow the route (with two lanes both continuing straight for a very long time). Then, a few seconds later, she would change back to get out of the passing lane. At other times she would insist on changing to the left lane, rather than staying in the passing lane to pass another car, 100km before my exit.

In heavy traffic she would signal for a very long time, until an opening appeared. Other drivers must have assumed I left the blinker on.

So it’s still a bit rough around the edges, and I assume the map data needs to be fixed. But even so I will still use NOA on my next road trip.

Not sure if it's helping train the neural network but whenever it wants to change lanes when I don't think it needs to I will cancel it as many times as I need to.

Pretty annoying but I'm doing it under the assumption that it helps and that the neural net "views all input as error"

Melbourne: Anyone had NoA work correctly on the entrance to the Eastern Freeway from Hoddle St? I tried again this morning and it normally gets part of the way around and then loses it with the line markings and needs immediate steering input.

Circumnavigated Port Phillip Bay yesterday anti-clockwise with a planned lunch at RACV Torquay. Total distance travelled was 273.08kms with an avg consumption rate of 144wh/km with a family of 4 in the car. It was a sunny day of about 20C with dry roads and quite windy along the coasts (I didn't note the wind directions).

Left home with 100% SoC. Used NoA from Eastlink southbound, off-ramp/on-ramp to Monash Fwy inbound, thru Domain tunnel (no NoA inside tunnel), over Westgate bridge and on Princes Fwy before NoA ended on the off-ramp into Geelong.

NoA performed very well on this leg with minimal lane changes (average with confirmation setting) and no dramas. Unlike 2019.40.50.7's tendency to hug the rightmost land, 2020.40.1 would happily cruise in the middle lane at less than the set speed limit after a couple of lane change cancellations. There's room for improvement for off-ramps ... I would prefer it engages the left turn signal 1-2s earlier (that's what I would do), and it's still a bit jerky after getting on the off-ramp.

At Geelong the MG car club had their annual car show at the foreshore.

DSC03717 1.jpgDSC03727 1.jpg

It was great to see these wonderful looking ICE cars on display with their enthusiast owners. I couldn't help but marvelled at how far my SR+ has come compared to these similarly gorgeous looking oldies :D.

Arrived at RACV Torquay with 62% SoC. I used the destination charger in the basement carpark after calling ahead. Plugshare reported 3 chargers (2 x Tesla and 1 x Type 1) in the basement carpark, but there was only 1 Tesla charger. I reckon they'd removed the other 2 now that there are 4 new Chargefox chargers in the outside carpark.

The destination charger was similar to my HPWC; single phase 32A, charging at 52km/hr. Added 96.19kms during our lunch.

We took the ferry from Queenscliff to Sorrento. NoA on the Peninsula Fwy and Eastlink homeward bound was uneventful except at the start of the Peninsula Fwy at Rosebud---I was on the right lane of two lanes, there was a big gap to the vehicle in front of me, and there was a ute slightly ahead of me on the left lane. NoA was engaged at 100kmh but the car stalled at ~70kmh as if there was a car up close in front o_O. I nudged the accelerator and as soon as I passed the ute, things were back to normal. Transition from Peninsula Fwy to Eastlink was perfect.

The cost of FSD may be hard to justify but I can truly say how much more relaxing AP with NoA is on road trips.

• Informative
Reactions: Hovean
My NOA seems to have been recently rolled back. Previously it would activate fine through Clem7, airport link and Legacy way. Now it briefly activates on the entrance ramps, but turns off as soon as I enter the tunnel.
Is it controlled by open street maps?
Did someone do a dodgy edit?

Drove from Melbourne CBD to Frankston and back yesterday on NoA. This was my first time driving that route and I'm a visitor to the Melbourne area. I have to say it made the drive incredibly easy, especially navigating the many lanes before the interchanges. Observed two issues:
- NoA was insistent on reverting back to the second from the right lane despite traffic being slightly slower there and manually changing to the right lane.
- Not a NoA issue but a general autopilot issue: driving through several two lane roundabouts it cut into the right/inner lane on all of them, once I got honked at and had to manually intervene.

But, all in all, a fantastic experience!

Thought I'll resurrect a thread that had been quiet since the start of Melbourne's covid lockdown hell :(.

Like most Melburnians my SR+ odometer came to a grinding halt then and only started picking up in recent months. I cannot recall which software version I was on (would have been from around 36.X or 40.X) but my NoA started failing to take the Eastlink Freeway off ramp to High Street Rd southbound where it had been successful pre-covid. I've tried this southbound off ramp about 5 times since (I live in this area) and it has failed every time. The last time I tried was on Tue 29/12 while on 48.26.

The northbound off ramp to High Street Rd works perfectly as before. Interchanges between Eastlink and Mornington Peninsula Fwy continued to work as before both southbound/northbound while on 48.26.

The Princes Fwy off ramp to Geelong via Princes Hwy (A10) also failed on Fri 1/1 (48.26, first time to Geelong with NoA). Monash Fwy off ramp to Blackburn Rd worked on the return leg.

Has anyone else noticed NoA failures that had previously worked? Is there any way to log these NoA failures with Tesla?

I drove Sydney to Jindabyne this week on 2020.48.26. It seems that on the highway whenever there is a certain type of cross street, NoAP will try to change to the right lane, disable NoAP (I.e revert to regular autopilot) cruise along for a few hundred metres then start NoAP again. This happens probably every 5mins. Anyone else experiencing this? Really annoying and seemingly completely pointless.

Returning to Sydney in early Dec I was leaving with AP nav mode on, and it totally blew past the M2-M80 interchange, despite 0 traffic at the time. And it stayed in the middle lane (and indicated it knew it was in the middle lane).

I drove Sydney to Jindabyne this week on 2020.48.26. It seems that on the highway whenever there is a certain type of cross street, NoAP will try to change to the right lane, disable NoAP (I.e revert to regular autopilot) cruise along for a few hundred metres then start NoAP again. This happens probably every 5mins. Anyone else experiencing this? Really annoying and seemingly completely pointless.
Yep I got this a few times on my recent trip from Melbourne to Adelaide and back.

Yep, that's because NoA is only meant to engage on M roads, whereas in NSW we falsely label plenty of A roads as M roads.

* An M road (motorway) only has grade-separated intersections/interchanges, and no driveways.
* An A road (main highway or arterial) can have any mix of intersections, driveways etc. It may or may not be a divided highway.

Since NoA doesn't know any better, it lets you engage NoA, but then it gets surprised every time it approaches an at-grade intersection. It drops from NoA to autosteer, and restarts NoA once the road looks like a motorway again. And you get the chimes every single time.

With the possible exception of a few bypasses (e.g. Goulburn), the Hume Highway should be designated as an A road south of Medway Rivulet/Sutton Forest. The entirety of the Federal Highway should also be designated as an A road.

I drive those routes every weekend. NoA just isn't worth the pain. The traffic isn't fierce enough to justify auto lane change anyway. There's only one intersection you have to remember to take, at Yarra (near Goulburn). And you probably just charged at Goulburn Chargefox (or Supercharger), so it's not like you'll be daydreaming too much.

Reactions: GrimRe