Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on autopilot - Interstate Exit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how M3 behaves when it’s on Navigate with AP and exits from Interstate. Yesterday I was driving on 65 with autopilot, Nav shows I need to take exit which was fine but car was above to take exit at same 65mph speed , I just got scared and cancelled the AP. Does the car slow down to 45 or so which is the safe limit or we are not supposed to have Nav on AP during exits.

Does anyone know how M3 behaves when it’s on Navigate with AP and exits from Interstate. Yesterday I was driving on 65 with autopilot, Nav shows I need to take exit which was fine but car was above to take exit at same 65mph speed , I just got scared and cancelled the AP. Does the car slow down to 45 or so which is the safe limit or we are not supposed to have Nav on AP during exits.

Some exists could be taken at full speed... Although often it kind of oversteers if taking exit at full speed. Never goes past the edge of the lane but gets real close to it. If forced to take exist slower by the car ahead it does ok.

Reactions: DriveMe
I’ve used NOA on a few occasions and one of the features is automated exit off interstate ramps. It also warns you when the NOA will end through screen prompts. NOA is great but the only thing I don’t like is it speeds up as it’s getting off the exit and it takes the exit fairly abruptly. Not sure if others have experienced this but that’s my experience.

For the most part it does slow down. I have aborted when I didn't feel comfortable with how it was behaving. Machine + Human > Machine or Human.

It depends. On what I have no idea. I have had it try to blast through a hairpin turn from one interstate to another (one time). All the other times it has taken this same exit just fine, slowed appropriately and continued on NoA just fine.

There is also one exit (E-470 EB to Parker Road - for those in the area) that it never exits. It tells me that an exit is coming but blows past the exit, or at least tries to.

That being said, I love the feature. In fact, today while using it, I confirmed a lane change to a faster lane. The car started to move over and noticed the car behind me was starting to change lanes left so it stayed in the current lane. The guy behind me ended up staying behin me and the car saw that as well. It went ahead and made the lane change without me doing anything. I was quite impressed.

Reactions: DriveMe