Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot is Useless (2018.42.3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on 2020.28.5 and get plenty of phantom braking. No surprise since almost none of Tesla's software is reliable. Another prime example is blind spot detection, which is useless.

yes, totally terrible software. I hate when I open the door and vehicle is fully booted up and playing music already.

It makes me wish I would have kept my 2016 Volvo XC90 and 2018 Volvo XC60, who’s back up cameras didn’t come online until I was already backing out, and music that didn’t start playing for at least a couple minutes, and a touchscreen that wouldn’t react quickly either. Man, I really want those cars back!

*edit, and the random SENSUS center touchscreen screen crashes, those were super cool too!

*edit again, I’ll play nice about Volvo, it might be that their processing power was that of a tablet from like 2013?

yes, totally terrible software. I hate when I open the door and vehicle is fully booted up and playing music already.

It makes me wish I would have kept my 2016 Volvo XC90 and 2018 Volvo XC60, who’s back up cameras didn’t come online until I was already backing out, and music that didn’t start playing for at least a couple minutes, and a touchscreen that wouldn’t react quickly either. Man, I really want those cars back!

*edit, and the random SENSUS center touchscreen screen crashes, those were super cool too!

*edit again, I’ll play nice about Volvo, it might be that their processing power was that of a tablet from like 2013?

LOL those cars can probably read signs tho

I am pretty certain that phantom braking in current Autopilot implementation is due to discrepancy between vision vs radar inputs and the car trying to figure out what to do.

Yes, on some. On my "phantom brakes", it's rather a very abrupt slowdown, due to incorrect speed limits. It's so abrupt that it can be interpreted as a phantom brake.

That's not what phantom braking has been used to describe.

Maybe not but that's what the experience is like anyway. Let me tell you a story:
My friend never had a problem on the roads in his local town and around it for miles.
He drove down to me and started to experience what he called "phantom brakes" on open highways without overpasses.
The culprit? It was a semi-new road with no registered speed limits.

Maybe not but that's what the experience is like anyway. Let me tell you a story:
My friend never had a problem on the roads in his local town and around it for miles.
He drove down to me and started to experience what he called "phantom brakes" on open highways without overpasses.
The culprit? It was a semi-new road with no registered speed limits.
Cool story, still not phantom braking.

Reactions: DrDabbles
It brakes harshly for no apparent reason. if the radar or incorrect speed is the source, is there really a difference? The experienced braking can be just the same.
If it is the speed limit, then it is a very visible thing, you look at the screen in the Tesla and it shows 25 mph (or 40 km/h) but the actual posted speed is 45 mph or 60 km/h.

Phantom braking because of radar vs vision uncertainty is truly for no "visible" reason, the display doesn't show an obstacle or any other reason for the behavior.

If it is the speed limit, then it is a very visible thing, you look at the screen in the Tesla and it shows 25 mph (or 40 km/h) but the actual posted speed is 45 mph or 60 km/h.

Phantom braking because of radar vs vision uncertainty is truly for no "visible" reason, the display doesn't show an obstacle or any other reason for the behavior.

that's given if you manage to catch it before it shows something else. sometimes it doesn't show at all. and then it brakes on the next "tile".

that's given if you manage to catch it before it shows something else. sometimes it doesn't show at all. and then it brakes on the next "tile".
I have never seen a "wrong speed limit sign" related braking event that did NOT display the wrong signage on the tesla screen.

You might be confusing what is actually happening and trying to assign it to the speed limit miss-mapping?

I have never seen a "wrong speed limit sign" related braking event that did NOT display the wrong signage on the tesla screen.

You might be confusing what is actually happening and trying to blame it on the speed limit sign?

Yes but you have to be aware of it. It will be incorrect for a brief moment when you pass an off ramp for example. For people that didn't anticipate it don't know where to look.

Also i have driven in places with no posted speed limit at all. It is not entirely obvious then but I assume it's because it i hits a new tile in the map and slows down. Then it doesn't brake hard it slows down rather.

I am on 2020.28.5 and get plenty of phantom braking. No surprise since almost none of Tesla's software is reliable. Another prime example is blind spot detection, which is useless.
Hmmm, I seem to have the opposite experience. For me the software is quite reliable. Sounds so bad for you that maybe you will consider selling you car and getting a Volvo :)

I’m on 2020.28.6, and phantom braking has improved greatly. I get it in a few instances, much better than it has been.

Every update comes with a raft of people saying wipers are perfect and phantom braking is gone. They're always wrong.

It brakes harshly for no apparent reason. if the radar or incorrect speed is the source, is there really a difference? The experienced braking can be just the same.

Except you said what the apparent reason is. Speed limit change. PHANTOM braking is called "phantom" because it comes with no other signs. No AEB warning, no "take over immediately" message, and no speed limit change. What you're describing is poor GPS location behavior- an incorrect speed from an incorrect position. Therefore, by definition it isn't phantom braking.

Except you said what the apparent reason is. Speed limit change. PHANTOM braking is called "phantom" because it comes with no other signs. No AEB warning, no "take over immediately" message, and no speed limit change. What you're describing is poor GPS location behavior- an incorrect speed from an incorrect position. Therefore, by definition it isn't phantom braking.

Indeed. It's phantom braking until you know the cause maybe? Many people don't pay attention to the speed limit change, which could be very brief, causing a jolt. The reason for phantom braking is also known In other situations, you know it's due to the radar /vision system. Wrong speed limit or misinterpreted reflections from the radar.

• Disagree
Reactions: DrDabbles