Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on AutoPilot makes dangerous move at interchange from Highway 152 to Highway 5 (Norcal)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had been driving frequently from Bay Area to LA with Navigate on AutoPilot. Everytime when transitioning from Highway 152 to Highway 5, it couldn't detect the exit ramp to the Highway 5 (at least that's what I thought), so I had to override the AutoPilot.

Yesterday I was driving the same route and decided to let the AutoPilot continue instead of overriding it. I thought at the worst case it would continue on Highway 152 and re-route.

However to my surprise, it actually did detect there was an exit ramp, but it made the transition so late that it went thru the solid line after the exit lane. I didn't expect it would do that, so on reflex I counter-steered and almost lost control. Luckily there was no car behind me, otherwise I would definitely get hit.

I wonder if anybody else experienced the same issue or it is just me. I googled & searched everywhere, but couldn't find anything.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Yes, something similar has happened to me on an interchange with a 1-2 lane expansion. NoAP changed it's mind at the last minute and jerked into a different lane. This happens every time at the same interchange so it was not a one-off situation. It is very unsettling and extremely unsafe. The bottom line here is that this as stated when you agree to it's use, this is "beta" software and not to be trusted 100%.

Considering the interchange is commonly travelled when driving from Norcal to Socal, why hasn't Tesla fixed this issue for so long? The first time I noticed the issue at the same interchange was more than two years ago. Tesla claims that they keep improving the software with machine learning based on users' data. It seems to me that this issue could have been fixed easily if that's the case.

Considering the interchange is commonly travelled when driving from Norcal to Socal, why hasn't Tesla fixed this issue for so long? The first time I noticed the issue at the same interchange was more than two years ago. Tesla claims that they keep improving the software with machine learning based on users' data. It seems to me that this issue could have been fixed easily if that's the case.
My guess is that the issue isn't with the software Tesla is improving, it's with the underlying map data. The map doesn't quite match reality. Maybe it shows the exit lane starting later than it actually does or maybe it shows you can exit from the through traffic lane?

My guess is that the issue isn't with the software Tesla is improving, it's with the underlying map data. The map doesn't quite match reality. Maybe it shows the exit lane starting later than it actually does or maybe it shows you can exit from the through traffic lane?

That's a good point. On the other hand, the software should also be able to reconcile the discrepancies between map data and what it actually 'sees', right?

NoAP handles most interchanges fine for me, but yes there are a number of exit ramps it hasn't ever gotten right. These include some interchanges near Tesla's headquarters too (Palo Alto, CA), so it's not for lack of Tesla's driving that interchange or even employees probably unable to either. It's more a matter of FSD is where this will really be fixed, and as with any beta I'm also watchful for these mistakes and just override.