Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot Missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my new LR for 3 weeks now and there's no Navigate on Autopilot option when I set a destination regardless of where I'm at in the city. All of the options are on in the autopilot setting yet the button never shows up. I have a service appointment set up to check to see whats up as Tesla support said they see no errors but has anyone else seen this? I've rebooted a ton, done a full power off and waited like 5 minutes, all to no avail. Where does this button show up in the refreshed S's? Anyone have pictures of it?

Reactions: MikeMalter
Maybe this is a silly question, but, I troubleshoot things for a living in my day job, and many times the "silly question stuff" gets overlooked. Dont be offended when I ask this question.

Did you purchase FSD with your vehicle?

Assuming your do have Full Self Driving -- In my area, Navigate on Autopilot rarely appears, unless I am on Interstates and major, major roads. You can tell if you are on Navigate on Autopilot when there is wide blue line in the center of the lane you are traveling in the dashboard visualization, instead of the sides of the road being blue. To see if it is working, drive to an interstate while on FSD and see if it doesn't change on the interstate. It took me months to realize that most of my driving did not engage Navigate on Autopilot while on FSD.

I don't know what roads are chosen. It seems Tesla has actually monitored and optimized the selected roads that qualify for Navigate on Autopilot -- but who knows the criteria. Perhaps it is well travelled roads. Most southern California roads probably qualify.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a silly question, but, I troubleshoot things for a living in my day job, and many times the "silly question stuff" gets overlooked. Dont be offended when I ask this question.

Did you purchase FSD with your vehicle?
Hah yes it has the FSD upgrade. No such thing as silly questions. I'm hoping I'm just missing something glaring as no one else seems to have this problem. Note this is my first Tesla so it's quite possible I'm just stupid.

Assuming your do have Full Self Driving -- In my area, Navigate on Autopilot rarely appears, unless I am on Interstates and major, major roads. You can tell if you are on Navigate on Autopilot when there is wide blue line in the center of the lane you are traveling in the dashboard visualization, instead of the sides of the road being blue. To see if it is working, drive to an interstate while on FSD and see if it doesn't change on the interstate. It took me months to realize that most of my driving did not engage Navigate on Autopilot while on FSD.

I don't know what roads are chosen. It seems Tesla has actually monitored and optimized the selected roads that qualify for Navigate on Autopilot -- but who knows the criteria. Perhaps it is well travelled roads. Most southern California roads probably qualify.
Oh ok this is good to know. I haven't taken it on the freeway in a week or so but will tonight. I was expecting the navigate on autopilot to show like it does on all the videos I see of model 3's. Hell a few of those dudes are using it on dirt roads so I just expected it to be on everywhere.

Make sure it is enabled. I have:

To enable Navigate on Autopilot, touch Controls > Autopilot > Navigate on Autopilot (Beta).
Enable At Start Of Every Trip
Speed Based Lane Changes
Require Lane Change Confirmation

Manual says:
Navigate on Autopilot button appears on the map's turn-by-turn direction list whenever a navigation route is active and the route includes at least one controlled-access road. (Emphasis Added)

I've had my new LR for 3 weeks now and there's no Navigate on Autopilot option when I set a destination regardless of where I'm at in the city. All of the options are on in the autopilot setting yet the button never shows up. I have a service appointment set up to check to see whats up as Tesla support said they see no errors but has anyone else seen this? I've rebooted a ton, done a full power off and waited like 5 minutes, all to no avail. Where does this button show up in the refreshed S's? Anyone have pictures of it?
It's the same for me. Nav on autopilot appears only if there is a highway somewhere in the nav.

Make sure it is enabled. I have:

To enable Navigate on Autopilot, touch Controls > Autopilot > Navigate on Autopilot (Beta).
Enable At Start Of Every Trip
Speed Based Lane Changes
Require Lane Change Confirmation

Manual says:
Navigate on Autopilot button appears on the map's turn-by-turn direction list whenever a navigation route is active and the route includes at least one controlled-access road. (Emphasis Added)
Ok I just ran out and set navigation to the other side of town as a test and the blue steering wheel icon showed up. That wasn't there last week when I drove across town. I assume that's the indicator? In videos I've seen the button literally says "Navigate on Autopilot". I'll test it out this evening.

Also, if this is the case how are all the people on youtube using this feature for in town driving even on middle of no where dirt roads in the country? I live in a heavily populated suburb so you'd think it'd be available here. Maybe a limitation for the new S until they release FSD 9?

Navigate on Autopilot is only in use when the two blue sides of the road change to a solid blue line in the middle of the lane. I think the Blue steering wheel icon is on whenever you have Navigation and Autopilot on with FSD vehicles

Actually, the manual says the blue steering wheel icon is on whenever you have:
"Autosteer is actively steering Model S. When Autosteer is available but you haven't activated
it, the icon is gray"
Yeah I just pulled up the manual to verify that as well. So do you have that navigate on autopilot button or does it just switch to the middle blue line when on a road that supports it?

The button will not say that unless:
"Navigate on Autopilot button appears on the map's turn-by-turn direction list whenever a navigation route is
active and the route includes at least one controlled-access road.... Navigate on Autopilot activates and deactivates as appropriate, based on the type of road you are driving on. For example, if Autosteer is active and the Navigate on Autopilot setting is turned on, Navigate on Autopilot automatically becomes active when you reach a supported controlled-access portion of your navigation route."

I got my MSLR just this past Saturday with FSD and none of my autopilot features have been working. On the highway, when I press the button, I get no feedback. Nothing happens. Called my delivery SC and they said my maps seem to be outdated and so they’re going to push the map data update to me manually. Will see if this happens today but also have a mobile service appointment scheduled to have this checked out.

I have 3 LR with Enhanced Autopilot. “Navigate on Autopilot” always showed on my screen until today. Just disappeared. Set up mobile service appointment.