Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot (NOA) - A Few Observations YMMV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started the $250 FSD subscription a few days ago and have been using Navigate on Autopilot (NOA). I have not tried other included features yet so at this time I can only commend about this particular function. Generally I do like NOA but I have experienced a few hiccups.

The biggest “issue” was it taking curve on highways. It was particularly so when my car took left curves. NOA seemed to be drifting my car toward the right and it got very close to cars on the right neighboring lane. A could of times I had to intervene by turning the steering wheel and disengage NOA. Prior to subscribing the monthly program I did not have this issue using Autopilot on highways.

Also the function didn’t seem to handle highways with repainted lane stripes well. I could tell my car was struggling a bit trying to keep on the lane on the stretch of 405 freeway between Long Beach and Costa Mesa where lanes were shifting many ways and marks were repainted. Coupled with constant lane meandering I think it made the situation worse.

NOA seemed to want to change lane a lot even when there was not a lot of room in the lane suggested me to move into (I have it set on lane charge that require my confirmation).

Lastly I experienced my first phantom braking while using NOA on Friday night. I got on 405 and due to the traffic volume I stayed in the right most lane. All of the sudden the car just slowed down and NOA disengaged right as I pass an off-ramp that was not part of my route. I don’t remember if it was because of me stepping on the accelerator. A few seconds before that NOA was suggesting for me to change to the left lane and I ignored it. Perhaps that plus the off-ramp confused the computer?

In any case, I will continue to try it out (as well as all other functions). And I know it’s a long shot but I hope I can get admitted into the beta program as a monthly subscriber.

I live in the area and that construction zone on the 405 is difficult due to the large lane shifting. What's happening if you watch your visualization is that GPS is showing the car off the freeway, since the lanes shifted to the right. As you approach exit lanes, the car can sometimes see itself in that exit lane and not on the freeway. The map data shows the speed limit for that exit street is 45MPH, so your car suddenly slows down. I think it almost always happens to me at the Bolsa exit.

You can try moving all the way to the left lane (or even carpool lane if you have stickers), and it can help because GPS sees you more on the freeway and not off it. Or you can disengage when the lanes shift that much, and just re-engage after the construction.

Reactions: kitt2000
There shouldn’t be any difference in lane keeping in NoA vs. Autosteer. Did you also update the build when you subscribed?

The subscription price is $199, not $250.

I did have a software update between the last time I use the included Autopilot and the FSD monthly subscription.

For one reason or another, I did notice now my car sways more to the right when it takes left curse on highway.

And yes it’s $200. My credit card bill says $217.91 which included tax so my brain just rounded it up as I typed the post.

I did have a software update between the last time I use the included Autopilot and the FSD monthly subscription.

For one reason or another, I did notice now my car sways more to the right when it takes left curse on highway.

And yes it’s $200. My credit card bill says $217.91 which included tax so my brain just rounded it up as I typed the post.
Which build did you update to? I’m guessing that’s responsible for the changes.