Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate On Autopilot Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Navigate on Autopilot features have not been working recently on my 75D on AP2 with both EAP and FSD. I am on 2019.12.1.2 5c87371 but NOA stopped working two updates ago, probably about a month now give or take. Prior to that it was working fine. TACC and Autosteer work and I have NOA available in the settings (I can change settings too but it doesn't actually activate the feature) but when I go to use NOA by loading a trip into nav and driving on the freeway, it doesn't function (there's no mention of it on my directions and none of the features work).

I had mobile service over to check it out, the guy checked the car's logs and found errors from the repeater cameras (all of them) but that the errors "looked weird" and didn't have the normal detail that would be related to a hardware failure (i.e. the car thinks the hardware is not working but there's nothing actually wrong with it). The guy did some investigating and said that he found out it's a common issue with the recent firmware on AP2 vehicles and that the next release should fix it. Obviously he has no idea when that release will be available.

Has this happened to anybody else? Is the mobile tech correct? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I actually have the same "limited blind spot visibility" error on my car as well when backing out of my garage. Goes away after that. I guess it's not tied to HW2. I'm pretty sure that this error showed up at the same time that my NOA features stopped working.

Reactions: N..8
I actually have the same "limited blind spot visibility" error on my car as well when backing out of my garage. Goes away after that. I guess it's not tied to HW2. I'm pretty sure that this error showed up at the same time that my NOA features stopped working.
When I updated to 12.1.1 it showed up the first time backing out of my garage. I also have issues with NOA not working all the time, seems random for me.

I asked them to replace the repeater cams when I called in as I saw that others with the same problem had it resolved by replacing. What he told me is that after researching the issue, it's a firmware thing and that replacing the repeater cams won't be necessary as the next firmware release would resolve it. He said that if there was an actual problem with the repeater cams, they'd have a reason for failure in the logs (the errors for the cams weren't showing details) and that it's very unlikely that all of them would fail at once. He reviewed my logs over a few days and told me that all four of my repeater cams were showing errors.

Whether or not the next firmware will resolve the issue is up for debate...It's frustrating to have to wait and not knowing when it will be released, but the rep was great and said that he'd push the firmware to my car as soon as it was available. And now I wait...

AP2 and everything works just fine. Did the tech replace the repeater cams? That seems to fix it for a lot of people.

Same issue/ same software as OP... model 3 LR/AP/FSD... cause attributed to firmware/ software issues. First happened with 12.1.2 where it ran fine for several days then stopped. Service Center brought it back but I lost it a couple of days after upgrading to FSD for an upcoming road trip.

Proximity sensors work while moving at low speed, which makes me think it’s the cameras?

Texts to service center resulted in a reply which was to wait until they called me. Scheduled a visit due to the upcoming trip. Absolutely no interest in driving 3000 miles without AP or TACC. Maybe they can roll back to a stable version?

Side note... service tech said there was the button reset (soft) and a hard reset... that happens by disconnecting wires.

Reactions: IGotEastBay
To be clear, my Autosteer and TACCstill work fine. It’s only Navigate On Autopilot that doesn’t work, it won’t auto switch lanes and doesn’t take exits. Everything else works fine. Hopefully this is the case with your situation. I’d be pissed if AS and TACC didn’t work and I had a trip. I’d also be pushing for a quicker fix than waiting for firmware.

When I originally got NOA via firmware update the service tech had to come load the newest version of the maps because for some reason it wasn’t downloading (despite being garaged with plenty of bandwidth on WiFi, specifically on a guest network that isn’t shared) and it wasn’t compatible with the version I had loaded. After he did that, we still couldn’t get it to work. It took actually disconnecting the 12volt to get it to appear, I guess a hard reset.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a similar situation where full reboots (turning off from screen, not touching anything for 3 minutes) don’t fix things and a hard reboot by disconnecting from the 12volt is required. If the next firmware upgrade due this week doesn’t fix the issue, that’s my next troubleshooting step. The mobile tech had to load the latest map again when he worked on the car. I’m exhausted eating this to be an issue each time the maps are updated, unfortunately.

Same issue/ same software as OP... model 3 LR/AP/FSD... cause attributed to firmware/ software issues. First happened with 12.1.2 where it ran fine for several days then stopped. Service Center brought it back but I lost it a couple of days after upgrading to FSD for an upcoming road trip.

Proximity sensors work while moving at low speed, which makes me think it’s the cameras?

Texts to service center resulted in a reply which was to wait until they called me. Scheduled a visit due to the upcoming trip. Absolutely no interest in driving 3000 miles without AP or TACC. Maybe they can roll back to a stable version?

Side note... service tech said there was the button reset (soft) and a hard reset... that happens by disconnecting wires.

To be clear, my Autosteer and TACCstill work fine. It’s only Navigate On Autopilot that doesn’t work, it won’t auto switch lanes and doesn’t take exits. Everything else works fine. Hopefully this is the case with your situation. I’d be pissed if AS and TACC didn’t work and I had a trip. I’d also be pushing for a quicker fix than waiting for firmware.

When I originally got NOA via firmware update the service tech had to come load the newest version of the maps because for some reason it wasn’t downloading (despite being garaged with plenty of bandwidth on WiFi, specifically on a guest network that isn’t shared) and it wasn’t compatible with the version I had loaded. After he did that, we still couldn’t get it to work. It took actually disconnecting the 12volt to get it to appear, I guess a hard reset.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a similar situation where full reboots (turning off from screen, not touching anything for 3 minutes) don’t fix things and a hard reboot by disconnecting from the 12volt is required. If the next firmware upgrade due this week doesn’t fix the issue, that’s my next troubleshooting step. The mobile tech had to load the latest map again when he worked on the car. I’m exhausted eating this to be an issue each time the maps are updated, unfortunately.

Sorry for posting in the Model S section... new to TMC... updated my issue resolution in the correct section...

I just went through this with 2019.12.1.2 software. Initial reports are it was a known software/ firmware issue but looking at the logs Tesla service reported that the "AP features have been disabled as the result of Boot-up timeout of the AP computer. To perform a hard reset we are sending another firmware update (same firmware)" This corrected the issue but engineering came back and requested Service do an inspection of the right repeater camera and circuitry which I declined due to an upcoming road trip. Since I need the car for a while, I postponed the inspection to next month.

I believe the "limited blind spot visibility" is a new alert with a recent software release (possibly 2019.12.1 or so) which makes sense. Tesla has announced that blind spot warning now exists (albeit this is not the same as the warning other cars provide on side view mirrors) and then discovered a use case where the system would not alert -- when the car is in significant shadow and it has difficulty discerning objects in the nearby blindspot areas. I started getting the alert in my parking garage at work (which is quite dim) but it clears up as soon as the car moves to a brighter area.

My theory (and that is all I have) is that Tesla generated the alert to let people know when the sensors will NOT trigger an alert of a vehicle in the blindspot either because someone(s) had an accident and blamed a failure of the blindspot system to alert or they identified that the system would not alert and wanted to provide the warning so people could not then blame the system. Either way, I do not believe the "limited blind spot visibility" is a hardware or software failure or bug -- I think it is an alert when the system is not working optimally due to outside conditions (just like the limited visibility alerts for autopilot in heavy rain).

I had a similar problem... I searched the forums trying to find out why my NOA was not working... my car reported that I needed updated maps and should connect to wifi to download them. But my car has wifi every night. I tried putting a wifi repeater near the car to strengthen the signal in the garage to get the maps to download - nothing.

Finally, I sent an email to Tesla service. After about a week they replied and said they had looked into it and my car had the newest software and maps available. I replied that my car showed Navigation data : NA-2018.6-702, which was not the latest. I think their database showed something different than what my car had. Maybe the result of a failed download at some point?

Anyway, they said they would perform 'additional diagnostics'. The next day, while my car was in the parking lot at work (no wifi), the navigation data went away completely (which was a problem because I had to navigate to a doctor's office after work). I guess they deleted it remotely. Back at home I thought the maps would update over wifi overnight, but no. However, the next day in the parking lot the maps updated via LTE. And now NOA works fine.

So Tesla can update maps via LTE if they really want to.

What is the map version you have? The mobile service rep loaded 2018.30.1-1487. My NOA is still not working and I keep getting told “it’s a firmware issue that will be resolved soon.” Meanwhile it’s been over a month and still no NOA.

I had a similar problem... I searched the forums trying to find out why my NOA was not working... my car reported that I needed updated maps and should connect to wifi to download them. But my car has wifi every night. I tried putting a wifi repeater near the car to strengthen the signal in the garage to get the maps to download - nothing.

Finally, I sent an email to Tesla service. After about a week they replied and said they had looked into it and my car had the newest software and maps available. I replied that my car showed Navigation data : NA-2018.6-702, which was not the latest. I think their database showed something different than what my car had. Maybe the result of a failed download at some point?

Anyway, they said they would perform 'additional diagnostics'. The next day, while my car was in the parking lot at work (no wifi), the navigation data went away completely (which was a problem because I had to navigate to a doctor's office after work). I guess they deleted it remotely. Back at home I thought the maps would update over wifi overnight, but no. However, the next day in the parking lot the maps updated via LTE. And now NOA works fine.

So Tesla can update maps via LTE if they really want to.