Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on AutoPilot question

tonyb99

Mar 22, 2020
Tucson
I have FSD, MY LR. 2020.48.30. I have autopilot set for all trips. Drove Hwy 60 through Phoenix today, initiated autopilot (two down taps). The display still showed the two lanes on the side, not the single blue line from the center front of the car, wheel icon turned blue. Autopilot did not take the exit ramp, nor move me over to prepare for it. All other features, auto lane change etc. worked fine. Have I missed a setting somewhere?

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle
AP did not classify the road as a full freeway, so NoA did not engage (and would disengage if you drove from a freeway onto it). If the road in question IS a freeway this may be a map error.

you should also check the Navigate on Autopilot button (top left of map) is on (blue) in case you tapped it by mistake.

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78

tonyb99

Mar 22, 2020
Tucson
AP did not classify the road as a full freeway, so NoA did not engage (and would disengage if you drove from a freeway onto it). If the road in question IS a freeway this may be a map error.

you should also check the Navigate on Autopilot button (top left of map) is on (blue) in case you tapped it by mistake.

6-8 lane divided highway, should be classified as a freeway - how can I determine if it is? (The button is always blue)

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle
6-8 lane divided highway, should be classified as a freeway - how can I determine if it is? (The button is always blue)
Only by what you already noticed .. that NoA does not engage. Does it still engage on other freeways? Can you recall if it has ever previously engaged on the highway in question?

ZippyDC

Dec 2, 2019
Nevada
I believe if you look at the detail steps of the navigation , if the step has a steering wheel on it then the step is NoA enabled. Otherwise it will only be on regular AP.

tonyb99

Mar 22, 2020
Tucson
I believe if you look at the detail steps of the navigation , if the step has a steering wheel on it then the step is NoA enabled. Otherwise it will only be on regular AP.
I tried this, admittedly only on the garage, but nothing showed on a route using US10, so this does not allow me to test Hwy 60.

Hobojo153

Dec 21, 2020
USA
I tried this, admittedly only on the garage, but nothing showed on a route using US10, so this does not allow me to test Hwy 60.
Does the road have traffic lights on it? NoA doesn't like those at present. (Meaning roads with them are guaranteed to be flagged as "not highway")

tonyb99

Mar 22, 2020
Tucson
Does the road have traffic lights on it? NoA doesn't like those at present. (Meaning roads with them are guaranteed to be flagged as "not highway")

No. It goes through Phoenix, and ends "End of Freeway" at Gold Canyon. I will take a trip down to US10 sometime soon to verify that Navigate on Autopilot works there.

Koolio46

Aug 26, 2020
Boston, MA
I have FSD, MY LR. 2020.48.30. I have autopilot set for all trips. Drove Hwy 60 through Phoenix today, initiated autopilot (two down taps). The display still showed the two lanes on the side, not the single blue line from the center front of the car, wheel icon turned blue. Autopilot did not take the exit ramp, nor move me over to prepare for it. All other features, auto lane change etc. worked fine. Have I missed a setting somewhere?
NoA requires a destination to be set in the navigation system and it actively providing navigation directions. And you have to tap the navigate on autopilot button at the top of the direction list to make it blue (if you don’t have the setting set to always on).

tonyb99

Mar 22, 2020
Tucson
NoA requires a destination to be set in the navigation system and it actively providing navigation directions. And you have to tap the navigate on autopilot button at the top of the direction list to make it blue (if you don’t have the setting set to always on).

Of course, but my problem is that it was not working as expected on a freeway.

ZippyDC

Dec 2, 2019
Nevada
20210114_132329.jpg
20210114_132329.jpg 20210114_132329.jpg
Notice the step with the blue steering wheel. It indicates that I was on part of a trip that is NoA capable, i.e. US-95. NoA will terminate when it exit to Jones Blvd.

Not all "Freeways" are capable yet. Before US-95 I was on 215 which technically is a freeway but not on NoA.

Koolio46

Aug 26, 2020
Boston, MA
View attachment 627697 View attachment 627697 View attachment 627697
Notice the step with the blue steering wheel. It indicates that I was on part of a trip that is NoA capable, i.e. US-95. NoA will terminate when it exit to Jones Blvd.

Not all "Freeways" are capable yet. Before US-95 I was on 215 which technically is a freeway but not on NoA.
Ah, yeah that should work. It won’t work on Jones blvd though. Only on 95. I know you know that...I have family who live in southwest Vegas so familiar with where you were.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC