Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Navigate on Autopilot requires updated maps."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla service and they checked my car and said that the reason I have not received the new maps is because my Wifi Signal was too weak. She said the car was only getting 1-2 bars of reception (even though it shows 3) and not enough to enable a download. She said it must be connected to a wifi signal thats 3 or more bars for 12 hours before the maps will download. She offered a mobile tech to come to my house and do it, but I already ordered a Google home wifi system anyways, so once I get that installed tonight, hopefully that will do the trick.

Please let us know if this does the trick...

Same reply here from SC. Mobil tech service may be the way to go!

That's such a wasteful use of resources to download a file.

I don't think I would have a mobile tech come to do this because it just seems wrong to have someone drive to you to download software to the car. I have a SC visit scheduled in about a week so if all else fails, I'll have them do the update.

For the long term, I hope they figure out a better way to pause and resume the download of large data packages.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I called Tesla service and they checked my car and said that the reason I have not received the new maps is because my Wifi Signal was too weak. She said the car was only getting 1-2 bars of reception (even though it shows 3) and not enough to enable a download. She said it must be connected to a wifi signal thats 3 or more bars for 12 hours before the maps will download.

Hmmm, you know what sounds a bit nutty to me about what they told you...… wifi signal doesn't really mean anything. Even if you have 3 or more bars, that doesn't mean you have decent bandwidth. I'm not criticizing your comment. You probably know this. I'm criticizing what they told you.

Your router might suck or there might be an issue getting good bandwidth from the service provider. What the tech people really should be talking about is bandwidth. I'd ask them what is the minimum throughput, or bandwidth that the server requires in order for it to determine your connection is good enough to push a large update. Even though you might not be able to see if the car is connecting at that rate, at least you can see if your router and other connected devices near the car are getting decent throughput. Frankly, I wish the car would show the throughput as a number for wifi and cellular instead of those vague bars.

Tell them to stop talking about signal strength. It is usually irrelevant. Yes, it is generally correct that if a device has a poor connection to a router, then the bandwidth will be reduced, but my point is that they can't tie signal strength to bandwidth. As I said, even if you have 5 bars, the weak link in the chain could be somewhere else.

Tesla should be showing us bandwidth. Bars don't mean that much to me.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah and croman
Hmmm, you know what sounds a bit nutty to me about what they told you...… wifi signal doesn't really mean anything. Even if you have 3 or more bars, that doesn't mean you have decent bandwidth. I'm not criticizing your comment. You probably know this. I'm criticizing what they told you.

Your router might suck or there might be an issue getting good bandwidth from the service provider. What the tech people really should be talking about is bandwidth. I'd ask them what is the minimum throughput, or bandwidth that the server requires in order for it to determine your connection is good enough to push a large update. Even though you might not be able to see if the car is connecting at that rate, at least you can see if your router and other connected devices near the car are getting decent throughput. Frankly, I wish the car would show the throughput as a number for wifi and cellular instead of those vague bars.

Tell them to stop talking about signal strength. It is usually irrelevant. Yes, it is generally correct that if a device has a poor connection to a router, then the bandwidth will be reduced, but my point is that they can't tie signal strength to bandwidth. As I said, even if you have 5 bars, the weak link in the chain could be somewhere else.

Bandwidth doesn't mean much actually, it just means it will take longer to download the file. They might just be restricting based on signal quality if their update code is so poor that it can only handle a full uninterrupted downloaded or else it corrupts the software.

Bandwidth doesn't mean much actually, it just means it will take longer to download the file. They might just be restricting based on signal quality if their update code is so poor that it can only handle a full uninterrupted downloaded or else it corrupts the software.

I agree!
It creeps me out whenever I call Tesla. They know everything about the car and have access to sooo much data! I park at night and have less than 3 bars of wifi signal. The fact that they even know that is just weird!~ I was waiting for the girl to say "Why dont you park closer to your snowblower, I bet reception is better there" lol

This is very true. The bottle neck is rarely a WIFI signal, even at 3 bars but the data speed between your home router and ISP. You can have 6 WIFI bars but it means nothing if your connection to the ISP is slow.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
yup I agree with all that. I'm making that statement based on something I heard at the factory some time ago whereas if the throughput wasn't good enough, it wouldn't push. That was quite a long time ago and who knows what they do now. Yet, as far as I know, the connection acceptance has never had anything to do with "bars".

To add, as DCEV said in some earlier post, we all know it is not rocket science to be able to transmit files of any size, and even if the connection is temporarily broken or lost, it can be resumed successfully. This technique has been around for at least 20 years with FTP protocols. Surely Tesla should be able to accomplish that. It would be nuts to have a download corrupt and not be able to be recover from it.

Try folding/unfolding your mirrors. The wifi antenna is in the passenger mirror, I've noticed I can gain or lose a bar depending on the orientation of the antenna to the router. Also try parking facing the other way if your router is on the driver side.

Last edited:
MCU1 does have 802.11n
I knew the MCU1 couldn't do 5GHz networks which is fine, but the only way mine would connect to the 2.4GHz network is if I switched it to b + g + n, if 'n' only then it just didn't work (I don't remember if it just didn't see the network or if it couldn't connect). Sadly it is the ONLY WiFi device on my network that needs this :(

I knew the MCU1 couldn't do 5GHz networks which is fine, but the only way mine would connect to the 2.4GHz network is if I switched it to b + g + n, if 'n' only then it just didn't work (I don't remember if it just didn't see the network or if it couldn't connect). Sadly it is the ONLY WiFi device on my network that needs this :(

Just re-checked and it doesn't :( My old AP must have had buggy firmware, because it was definitely set to N-only. But firmware issues was part of the reason I got rid of the thing.

b/g only.

Attachments

• bxcgakN[1].png
    bxcgakN[1].png
    99.9 KB · Views: 87
I just made the change to my WiFi as a test, as soon as I set it to 'n' only (Ch 11, 20MHz bandwidth) the Tesla no longer connects, it is stuck on 3G only.
Put it back to b+g+n and it connects, we've got at a guess 20+ devices on WiFi at home which work fine on the network as 'n only', pretty sure the issue sits with Tesla :(

There is no 11n support in MCU1, just 11g (and 11b for older AP's, should work, but it's Tesla so I wouldn't assume). MCU2 support 11ac on 5GHz and 11n on 2.4GHz (and should work with 11g and 11b as well, again, I wouldn't assume). MCU1 occasionally gets confused and thinks it has a 5GHz radio, so if you give it an SSID with dual band it gets all scewed up, because when connecting at high signal strengh to 2.4GHz, it tells the AP that is has a 5GHz radio, so the band steering will say "ok, with such high 2.4GHz signal you must be very close, so disconnect and try 5GHz radio", causing a reconnect loop) - that only started happening after MCU2 was released.

I switched to Google home network last night and now my car is getting 4 bars solidly, one of the access points is literally 10 feet away behind a wall but it wont register full signal even though my phone does. Hopefully this works! I checked this morning and nothing has changed. Probably takes a few days of same network.. We shall see!

Last night I set up an old AV500 powerline ethernet to put an access point right next to my car in the garage. The car didn't download anything all night, it was even showing only 3 bars even though it was literally 10 feet away from the AP. This morning I go to work and get back and as soon as I park it starts downloading a LOT, with full signal strength. I looked at my router logs and it downloaded 14.4GB of something in about 30 minutes. I got into the car and the NoA toggle still says to connect to WiFi to download maps, and there is no other software update available.

I don't know what it downloaded! And I don't know if the AP next to the car helped at all. It was definitely connected to the powerline AP last night since it has its own SSID.