Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot vs Just Navigate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gnuarm

Model X 100 with 72 amp chargers
I'm not particularly worried about Navigate on Autopilot. I'd be happy if they just get Navigate to give you better warnings your turn is approaching. It is not uncommon that I get warning of a turn or exit a mile ahead which is a full minute from reaching it at 60 mph. With no other warnings the actual announcement that the turn or exit should be made often happens *after* it is too late to make the turn or exit. Some highway exits are very long these days with plenty of length to make the lane change but also with a very long portion where there is either a solid line or a curb or even a barrier between the exit and the main road. I can't tell you how many times the second and final warning of the exit happens after I have passed the lane change area and now have to either swerve across a solid white line or even a curb or barrier.

I've used many GPS devices before. I've never had one that gave such tardy announcements of turns.

I would also mention that I discovered the voice announcement for navigator doesn't play at all when you are using the phone. I found this out when I was on a long trip and called a friend to chat while driving only to find I had missed my turn. Perhaps some more attention getting display changes could be made when the voice prompt is off?