TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Navigate on Autosteer question

Discussion in 'Model X' started by dewittbo, May 14, 2019 at 7:29 PM.

1. dewittbo

dewittbo Member

I haven’t seen this mentioned before and wondered if my experience with Navigate on Autosteer is typical. I activated the ‘lane change without confirmation’ today for a short trip. It worked fine, but each time it initiated a lane change it asked me to apply pressure to the steering wheel before it would change lanes. Is that the way it’s supposed to work?

2. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

3. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

It's more of a "pseudo- without confirmation". :)

4. TiggerTime

TiggerTime Member

Yeah it's annoying to the point that I went back to confirming with the stalk. Between the normal apply pressure as you are just cruising along and the need to do the same for every lane change it wasn't worth using IMO. Plus seems to react a bit quicker using the stalk confirm.

5. ditzpro

ditzpro Member

Totally agree ,.. Some of the new features are more trouble than the manual activation ...All necessary on the way to FSD, I guess ..
    On that note , I think that the majority of FSD will be too annoying to use except in some situations ..(Like the AutoPilot is wonderfull on freeways , but not so great on two lane roads ,yet) ..

6. animorph

animorph Active Member

I drove two hours on NoA with the usual asymmetrical grip applying constant torque to the wheel. NoA made many unconfirmed lane changes without any extra jiggling of the wheel except for once. I probably let up on the torque just when it wanted it. So it works unconfirmed for me. 2019.12.1.1 firmware.

7. dewittbo

dewittbo Member

Glad to hear my experience was to be expected for now. I like Double-E's 'pseudo-without confirmation' term for it, since it does still ask for confirmation--just not with the stalk....