Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigating to addresses of contacts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I finally took delivery of my Model S last week and so far everything is working great, but there's one thing I didn't figure out how to do yet:
I read somewhere if you go to a contact in the phone app, you should see the contact's address and be able to navigate to it. I have many contacts with addresses on my phone, but the phone app only shows the phone numbers, never the address. Am I missing something? My phone is a Nexus 5 (Android).

Hi,

I finally took delivery of my Model S last week and so far everything is working great, but there's one thing I didn't figure out how to do yet:
I read somewhere if you go to a contact in the phone app, you should see the contact's address and be able to navigate to it. I have many contacts with addresses on my phone, but the phone app only shows the phone numbers, never the address. Am I missing something? My phone is a Nexus 5 (Android).

Congratulations!
I'm not sure if this is identical.
On my car, connected to an iPhone, when I tell the car to "call [name]" the contact shows up with a list of numbers. At the bottom of the phone numbers is the address, which I can then click on to navigate to.

Congratulations!
Thanks! :smile:

On my car, connected to an iPhone, when I tell the car to "call [name]" the contact shows up with a list of numbers. At the bottom of the phone numbers is the address, which I can then click on to navigate to.

I can go to the phone app on the touchscreen and search the contact there, I can go to the contact with the steering wheel buttons / wheel, and I can use the voice command "Call Hilton Garden Inn", I always get the same screen shown below, without any address:
phoneApp.jpg

For comparison, this is what the same contact looks like on my phone, you can see it actually does have an address:
contact.png

Does it work for anyone with an android phone?

Can really no one here tell me if this is usually working with android phones?
How I would do it is add an event, type in the person's name in the location until the address shows up in the choices popup. Then in the car it's just another event under the calendar. I've never tried it with the phonebook, or with android.

With my Nexus 4, addresses do NOT show in the Tesla phone app. I wonder what makes the difference. Sure would be nice to be able to use the addresses.

All my contacts are stored through Google. But I just tried adding a random contact (with address) locally to the phone, 2 mins later it synced with the car and it's visible.

I'll try my wife's phone, she has an S6, but I think it does the same

I tried to create a new contact with address directly on the phone, but the address was still not shown, just like with the contacts synced from google, so this doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anyway I finally found the solution! I'm not a Bluetooth expert, but the Bluetooth profile on some phones used to sync contacts doesn't seem to support addresses, just phone numbers. Thankfully, there is an app called Bluetooth Phonebook which solves this problem.

I switched off Bluetooth to disconnect the phone from the car, installed the app, switched Bluetooth back on and after a few seconds the addresses of my contacts were shown on the screen:
contactWithAddr.jpg

The app could do even more things, like swapping first and last name, converting non-latin characters, etc. but I didn't touch any of these settings and it just worked.

It's not free but cheap and there's even a free trial version available but be carefull, this one changes a random digit of each phone number it sends to the car, so it's really just to test if the app is compatible with your phone / car.

Last edited:
Anyway I finally found the solution! I'm not a Bluetooth expert, but the Bluetooth profile on some phones used to sync contacts doesn't seem to support addresses, just phone numbers. Thankfully, there is an app called Bluetooth Phonebook which solves this problem.
i just installed this on my Nexus 4. Now, for the first time ever, I have addresses on my Tesla. All I had to do was install it. No setup of any kind was needed.
Thanks for finding this.