Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigating Trade-In with Ever-Changing EDD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I ordered my MYLR, I hadn't considered a trade-in (was planning to sell the wife's current car to Vroom, Carvana, etc), but I got the "trade-in text" this week and decided to see what Tesla had to offer. While about $4-5k lower than the other iBuyers, the savings on the AZ sales tax closes the gap somewhat and let's be honest, removing one more party to the transaction is one less headache and probably worth the small difference in cash.

However, the Tesla trade-in offer is only valid for 7 days/1,000 miles, and my EDD continues to bounce around everyday (was late June, then July, now back to late June). I'm not sure how to go about coordinating a potential trade-in if I don't know when my Y will be delivered, as I certainly don't want to trade in the current car before I take possession of the new one.

Who else has been down this path before that can provide some guidance?

Thx

I think your too early. If you can’t trade in your car til you get your new one, you’ll have to wait. I don’t know of anyone who will honor a trade in value past 30 days, Tesla or third party. All cars depreciate (though in the current shortage climate it might actually appreciate!)

Personally, I would just wait until you know your delivery date and then get quotes from everyone you are comfortable with and decide.

Trading in with a company that can't sell you a car on a specific date is much more of a pain in the butt than selling it yourself.

I am delivering my 2012 Miata to the buyer this weekend in a cross country trip. For one thing, I am getting $5,000 more than Tesla offered, and for another, I do the deal and it is DONE... No worrying. My paranoia says that if I tried to trade in (delivery location is a 4 HOUR drive from my home) I would be told "oh, you wanted to trad in your car? I don't have the paperwork on that. That changes everything, come back tomorrow."

Just not worth the hassle,

Keith