TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Navigation 8.0-8.1

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Boatguy, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Maybe we can collect together all the feedback and comments, good and bad regarding the new nav system.

As far as I can tell, 8.0 did not add support for multiple waypoints. So a trip is still just A to B. Did anyone find a way to do multiple waypoints?

2. Gregkeys

Gregkeys Member

I don't have a tesla yet, but we did barrow one for a whole day for a test drive, it seems like I was able to add way points by pressing on the map where we wanted to add the way point for a couple seconds.

3. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Has anyone figured out if 8.0 supports more than single destination?

4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

You can't specify more than a single destination in the current nav. By waypoints, I think folks are talking about inputting multiple destinations and have the navigation automatically reorder based on distance and navigate to all destinations in order. My 2007 Prius did this easily.

• Like x 1
  5. Stiction

Stiction Member

Now that it does route planning through superchargers that seems halfway decent it seems poised to handle waypoints too. (SCs are more complex than waypoints actually b.c. they provide charge)

I'm hoping 8.1 will add a way to create them......

6. LastGas

LastGas Member

My 2004 Prius did this easily.

7. NullException

NullException Member

I've had Navigon on my phone for years (don't use it so much these days, but still handy sometimes when there's no phone signal).
    The odd thing is that Navigon *has* all the features that people want from Tesla's nav (which is using a combo of Google Maps and Navigon):
    • route planning (waypoints)
    • multiple route options to a destination, with preference of which type of route to default to
    • options to allow/avoid: highways, toll roads, ferries, restricted access areas
    • choice of whether to re-route based on traffic messages
    I wonder whether Tesla repurposed the waypoint feature for supercharger routing, and now it's not usable for other types of waypoint?

• Like x 1
  8. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

The entire Tesla infotainment system is struggling to deliver features that were standard in other cars, media players and navigation devices 10-15yrs ago. Tesla could do worse than copying the functionality of a 2005 iPod and 2004 Toyota/Lexus/Mercedes nav system.

• Like x 1
  9. Mark Bloomston

8.0 guidance no longer shows which side of the street the destination is. that's a real pain since nobody seems to put their street numbers on their house or mailboxes.

10. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

That is a real step backwards.

• Like x 1
  11. thegruf

thegruf Member

Yes to waypoints and route planning over >1 day. also yes for a control to hide the route instructions (which I rarely use and just take up map real estate).

How about showing a street view image of the destination when you approach

No to disappearing controls and top bar, and double tapping - real backwards steps in the UI for me.

12. MFleMat

MFleMat New Member

I have not figured out how to put multiple waypoints in. Would like to have that feature.

13. bob_p

bob_p Member

The current "FrankeNAV" has two major problems:
    • Navigation is done with the Navigon maps, which are typically at least 1 year out of date, while the touchscreen display uses the up-to-date Google maps, which are updated very quickly after road changes are made. This means that the navigation produces incorrect routing in areas of road changes. This could be a huge problem if AP in 8.1 uses the navigation maps to determine the location of exit ramps.
    • While the Navigon software should support much more functionality than what we see in FrankeNAV, it could be that we're being limited because the UI is controlled by Tesla's touchscreen software, and they weren't able to work out a way to implement the features using a combination of Tesla and Navigon software. The trip planner appears to be added ontop of the Tesla software, just adding new destinations sent over to Navigon, so Tesla was able to add that feature - but we still are missing many typical features like waypoints, multiple routing choices, route customization, identification of nearby POIs along the route, ... - features that have been present in other vehicles (for a long time)
    The new trip planner features are very useful and the 17" display looks great when viewing satellite maps - but is that enough to satisfy owners, especially when other manufacturers (Chevy-Bolt?) start producing competitive long range EVs?

14. AvengerBB

AvengerBB Member

I see it on the IC.