Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation 8.0-8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe we can collect together all the feedback and comments, good and bad regarding the new nav system.

As far as I can tell, 8.0 did not add support for multiple waypoints. So a trip is still just A to B. Did anyone find a way to do multiple waypoints?

I don't have a tesla yet, but we did barrow one for a whole day for a test drive, it seems like I was able to add way points by pressing on the map where we wanted to add the way point for a couple seconds.

You can't specify more than a single destination in the current nav. By waypoints, I think folks are talking about inputting multiple destinations and have the navigation automatically reorder based on distance and navigate to all destinations in order. My 2007 Prius did this easily.

Reactions: Boatguy
Now that it does route planning through superchargers that seems halfway decent it seems poised to handle waypoints too. (SCs are more complex than waypoints actually b.c. they provide charge)

I'm hoping 8.1 will add a way to create them......

Now that it does route planning through superchargers that seems halfway decent it seems poised to handle waypoints too. (SCs are more complex than waypoints actually b.c. they provide charge)

I've had Navigon on my phone for years (don't use it so much these days, but still handy sometimes when there's no phone signal).
The odd thing is that Navigon *has* all the features that people want from Tesla's nav (which is using a combo of Google Maps and Navigon):
  • route planning (waypoints)
  • multiple route options to a destination, with preference of which type of route to default to
  • options to allow/avoid: highways, toll roads, ferries, restricted access areas
  • choice of whether to re-route based on traffic messages
I wonder whether Tesla repurposed the waypoint feature for supercharger routing, and now it's not usable for other types of waypoint?

Reactions: Imafrog
Yes to waypoints and route planning over >1 day. also yes for a control to hide the route instructions (which I rarely use and just take up map real estate).

How about showing a street view image of the destination when you approach

No to disappearing controls and top bar, and double tapping - real backwards steps in the UI for me.

The current "FrankeNAV" has two major problems:
  • Navigation is done with the Navigon maps, which are typically at least 1 year out of date, while the touchscreen display uses the up-to-date Google maps, which are updated very quickly after road changes are made. This means that the navigation produces incorrect routing in areas of road changes. This could be a huge problem if AP in 8.1 uses the navigation maps to determine the location of exit ramps.
  • While the Navigon software should support much more functionality than what we see in FrankeNAV, it could be that we're being limited because the UI is controlled by Tesla's touchscreen software, and they weren't able to work out a way to implement the features using a combination of Tesla and Navigon software. The trip planner appears to be added ontop of the Tesla software, just adding new destinations sent over to Navigon, so Tesla was able to add that feature - but we still are missing many typical features like waypoints, multiple routing choices, route customization, identification of nearby POIs along the route, ... - features that have been present in other vehicles (for a long time)
The new trip planner features are very useful and the 17" display looks great when viewing satellite maps - but is that enough to satisfy owners, especially when other manufacturers (Chevy-Bolt?) start producing competitive long range EVs?

My navigation is possessed. On day it works perfectly and the next day it shows me miles away from where I am and sometimes going in the wrong direction. Today, it froze and did not move.
I have the service center picking up my car tomorrow but they tell me its a software issue and the best they can do is check to make sure I have the latest firmware. if i do and there is no change in the navigation, then they will have to inform the "engineers" and they will need to develop a fix!!!! If that is the result, they will return my car with the navigation still not functioning while "engineering" is attempting to develop a fix.
For a car that is supposed to be the most technically advanced, it doesn't seem they can get a navigation that works, let alone one that is so far below the capabilities of less technically oriented car companies.
SHAME SHAME SHAME

The mechanical parts of the car, and the s/w that controls them, seem to be very good. The apps on the big iPad (aka CID) are horrendous; poorly designed and poorly executed. Clearly entirely different people than build the "car". They are nothing more than the bait for new buyers who see them and expect to have the kind of experience they have with commercial apps for the iPad, and instead discover the apps couldn't win a hack-a-thon.

My navigation is possessed. On day it works perfectly and the next day it shows me miles away from where I am and sometimes going in the wrong direction. Today, it froze and did not move.
I have the service center picking up my car tomorrow but they tell me its a software issue and the best they can do is check to make sure I have the latest firmware. if i do and there is no change in the navigation, then they will have to inform the "engineers" and they will need to develop a fix!!!! If that is the result, they will return my car with the navigation still not functioning while "engineering" is attempting to develop a fix.
For a car that is supposed to be the most technically advanced, it doesn't seem they can get a navigation that works, let alone one that is so far below the capabilities of less technically oriented car companies.
SHAME SHAME SHAME
Your results are not typical. I know some others have had similar problems but they are the exception rather than the rule. I would press them for a hardware fix - I suspect that is where your problem lies. If it were software, many others would be complaining as well.

I picked up my new Model S a week ago and received the first software update today. Sat Nav is pants - it stalls for several minutes and therefore is not something one can rely on. I called SC on Friday and again today - both times they promised to get back to me but nothing heard yet. The gloss is beginning to wear off my excitement.

The Brooklyn Service Center picked up my S and provided a loaner. They updated my firmware and added the available AP2 update.
Navigation now working properly!!! Car returned same day. Thanks Brooklyn Service Center:):):):):):)