Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation algorhythim

larrykoch100

Sep 5, 2019
Pomona, ca
Does navigation take into account traffic patterns or does it just calculate the shortest route. In LA navigation has recommended completely different routes going and returning from Pomona to Cal State Dominguez Hills. Whats up? Am I better off with Google Maps?

Vaillant

Jul 19, 2019
Sunnyvale, CA
It takes into account traffic, assuming you’ve got the premium connectivity. Do you have the red and orange lines on the map indicating traffic?

I usually compare with Google Maps and Apple Maps and it is mostly the same, although it does appear to me that the car’s nav takes a shorter distance route rather than the quickest if there’s only a small increase in the time it takes. Probably there’s some logic in the algorithms to prefer the lowest energy route in terms of kWh used.

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
Whenever I've compared the onboard nav to Waze, onboard always shows a different time (and often route) than Waze and Waze always gets me there when it said it would. YMMV

camalaio

May 28, 2019
Vernon, BC, Canada
It uses traffic data across all models (premium connectivity option shows the traffic, but all use it for routing). You can also configure a rerouting threshold in terms of minutes saved by choosing a new route.

I'm not in dense areas so my opinion may be moot, but it's often similar to Google Maps routing. I've noticed it sometimes prefers snaking through backroads versus more primary roads, which I'm personally ok with.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC