Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation announcement when on the phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If on the phone in Model S Plaid and have the navigation set, my audio does not announce? Is there a setting that would allow the navigation to voice over the phone? I have missed many of exits while being on the phone and not being notified of my route. Any assistance would be appreciated.

This is not new/specific to the plaid - it was true on pre-refresh cars (and perhaps even all Tesla's) too. I had this complaint on my 2017 Model X too. I've also missed exits a number of times when expecting the nav to remind me to take an exit. FWIW I think this also happens when you're streaming media from the phone as well (Clubhouse for example) which is treated as a phone call.

Upvote 0
This is not new/specific to the plaid - it was true on pre-refresh cars (and perhaps even all Tesla's) too. I had this complaint on my 2017 Model X too. I've also missed exits a number of times when expecting the nav to remind me to take an exit. FWIW I think this also happens when you're streaming media from the phone as well (Clubhouse for example) which is treated as a phone call.
For audio, I stream from my phone (Android) almost exclusively and I can in all years 2013-2017 that I've owned it most certainly will attenuate the audio stream and announce navigation directions. Not sure on anything newer than that as I haven't (yet) owned them but I would imagine this is also the behavior across the board. It appears to be ONLY while fielding a phone call does this not announce directions at all.

Upvote 0
FYI I use iPhone vs. Android - doubt it makes a difference but offer it as a data point. Also, I generally don't stream anything from my phone other than occasionally listening in on Clubhouse which connects to the car as if it were a phone call. So the behavior may be consistent between your experience and mine. If I use the car's spotify app, nav overides it every time as you would hope/expect.

Upvote 0
Just got my 2022 Model Y and already missed 2 turns while talking on the phone because the navigation voice does not announce when on a call. Elon ... please fix this. It's ok to make it user configurable but not having and option for voice nav prompts when on a call is really bad.

Upvote 0