Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Audio Muffled and "Basey"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I got my X, the navigation Audio has been extremely muffled and difficult to understand. A stark contrast to the model S that I had before.

I think there may be an issue with the speaker. Does anyone know where the speakers for the navigation audio are physically located?

I've been reluctant to take the car into the service center since my service center experiences have been horrible on the past.

However, my car is currently at the service center for numerous issues. I have a model X loaner car, and the GPS instructions sound clear and crisp. Now that I've heard the difference, it seems like my car is missing the tweeter speaker. Even the direction of the navigation instructions seem to eminate from a different place. In the loaner, they sound like they come from in front of the driver, behind the steering wheel. In my car, it sounds like it's coming from the left dash, by the door.

The service center said my car works fine, they don't hear a problem and that I just have the volume too low. This is insulting and only continues to make my service center experience worse.

I may need to assist them in understanding the problem, so that they will fix it. Does anyone know where the speakers for the navigation audio are physically located? Or does anyone have any info that can help me?

Since I got my X, the navigation Audio has been extremely muffled and difficult to understand. A stark contrast to the model S that I had before.

I think there may be an issue with the speaker. Does anyone know where the speakers for the navigation audio are physically located?

Agree completely. The female voice is much more bassy than it needs to be. It is much better in the Model S. As far as where, it goes through the entertainment system audio, like the turn signal clicks and other sounds the driver needs to hear, they should be directed to the driver's position speakers. Top dash and door.

It could be one driver (including a tweeter) wired backwards too. Understand your hesitation with SC (the less they do the better) but it’s great you have reference that clearly works right.

try to show a technician the difference when you turn in the loaner.

Make sure radio settings are identical when comparing.

I assumed it was mono so it comes out a center speaker (or virtual/ imaged center) But it could be separate speaker. If it’s a separate speaker just for Nav I doubt it has a tweeter. But possible. Could be dual driver too.

try playing some mono voice recording and see if it sounds the same.

there are also lots of sound tests out there. Like sweep left, sweep mono, sweep right. Etc.

When you get your car back, see if full rebooting the system helps. Hold down both steering wheel buttons and brake for 5-10 seconds and release. It might have no effect, but I have had that fix strange issues with the audio system. In theory to you could just reset MCU by holding down just the steering wheel buttons, but sometimes the full reboot works better.

I have been having this problem often. Yes the reset with scroll buttons with or without the brake fixes the problem. But what is going on? It almost sounds like the audio is being rerouted from the front speaker to the boombox.