Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation by voice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO it’s awful to begin with. Yes, it’s a great start, but it seems very basic. Half of the time is doesn’t work for me. The scroll wheel can be touchy when choosing what you want to do with a message and you’re still taking your eyes off the road to do it. I really wish Apple car play was an option because I’m a huge iPhone fan. Maybe Elon will beef up the voice recognition in the future.

After the recent software upgrade the voice recognition is awful. Before it was wonderful
Weird. Mine is working really well in my X. I recognized the commands probably 19 out of 20 times. I did have my mic (right passenger) replaced a year or so ago. Didn't realize there were multiple and they said they saw errors in the log when I reported it.

A *lot* more functionality. Crowdsourced commands here: V10.2 Tesla Voice Commands

Suspect Tesla didn't document them all so that users would try many things and thus Tesla could get 'natural' genuine grass roots input on what users want/need.

Right, voice commands broken as many threads say. And microphone working fine before/after upgrade, like talking on phone. So just pressing steering wheel button to enable voice activation, "stops the listening", that used to happen nicely.

old |v2019.40.2.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2020.4.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

Reactions: buttershrimp
Right, voice commands broken as many threads say. And microphone working fine before/after upgrade, like talking on phone. So just pressing steering wheel button to enable voice activation, "stops the listening", that used to happen nicely.
Just tested again in my garage (note currently on wifi). Reasonable AT&T connectivity matters I think too. FYI:
IF I press then *release* steering wheel button then it works as expected. I tried several and they all worked the first time.
HOWEVER, if I press then continue to *HOLD* the steering wheel button then it only captures my first word.

Last edited:
Just tested again in my garage (note currently on wifi). Reasonable AT&T connectivity matters I think too. FYI:
IF I press then *release* steering wheel button then it works as expected. I tried several and they all worked the first time.
HOWEVER, if I press then continue to *HOLD* the steering wheel button then it only captures my first word.
Thanks, I could get a lot more to happen now. Still can't call wife, but can navigate places :p