Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation can't handle ferries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I knew on the outward trip to Ireland from the UK that something was wrong with the calculation of the expected mileage and predicted charge levels, but this screenshot on the way back makes it clear. The M3 expects to use 20% covering 73 miles while sat on the car deck of the ferry. Which is why the suggested supercharger stops needed manual override too. ABRP seems to get it right, fortunately. And it also shows distance, predicted times and charge level at the ports automatically without any need to add those points manually as the M3 requires (useful if you want to know if you'll make the ferry too)!

PXL_20221114_122114119.jpg

The Nav doesn't update position whilst the car is stationary. I use the ferry to France fairly regularly and it can take a while for it to re-locate when you get off the other side, which can be disconcerting. It also has expected routes too. If you are waiting in Portsmouth for the Caen ferry, putting in the supercharger in Caen will route you along the South coast to Dover, then down through France past Rouen to get to Caen....

The Nav doesn't update position whilst the car is stationary. I use the ferry to France fairly regularly and it can take a while for it to re-locate when you get off the other side, which can be disconcerting.
Does your car have a clear view of the sky while on the ferry? If not then it will take a while to calculate its new position when it starts to see the satellites again.

Its reall y variable. It doesn't have a clear view of the sky, but after an experience where it took over 45 minutes to work out where it was, I called the Tesla helpline to see what was happening. Two button re-set didn't do it either. They patched into the car and could see it thought it was driving in the channel somewhere off the Isle of Wight. They told me that the car only verifies the NAV position whilst the wheels are turning. Given the nightmare every time one goes through passport control at either end, the car has plenty of time with clear sky above and slow wheel turning to re-locate itself. Other times it has re-located as I've driven off the boat. Last two times it took around a minute.

Reactions: M3LR21
It's not that doesn't track position, it assumes you will be driving on the ferry in its calculation of charge stops. Same happens with the leShuttle
Exactly. So you can't rely entirely on navigation to work out where to stop to recharge when you're planning a journey that involves a ferry - or a stretch on a train either. And because the summary information is so poor and flashes up only briefly, you may not realise that the calculations are flawed.

It would be much better if you could plan the route on the Tesla app first and then send that to the car. I know you can share a destination from a map app to the car, but if you've planned any intermediate points such as charging stops, they get lost.

Last edited: