Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation caused me to get a fine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a PCN through the post yesterday with the alleged contravention 53JC: Failing to comply with a restriction on vehicles entering a pedestrian (and cycle) zone

I checked on Street View and it appears rightly that the street where the CCTV captured my car driving was a pedestrian only zone at the time of driving.

I have been using the Tesla Navigation at the time and was driving through streets which were new to me and missed the signage. I have my settings to avoid tolls and have always assumed that I would not be taken through restricted roads.

Do you think Navigation should have avoided the restricted road or was I too thick and not paying attention to the signs? Should I challenge the PCN or pay it?

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
The map data is not updated very often. I'm sure it does avoid pedestrian/bike/bus only areas and such if it knows about them, but I would never assume it has the correct routing restrictions or speed limits.
If it's not clear that the road was restricted you could make a complaint in the hope that they improve signage, but it's unlikely you'd be able to challenge the ticket unless there the signage was obscured/missing altogether.

Same thing happened to me.
Ultimately, it’s my responsibility to ensure that I am driving where I’m allowed to.
Granted I have been misled by Navigation whilst driving in an unknown area but I felt that I had no grounds to appeal the fine and just paid up.
Served as a reminder to me to pay more attention to street signs, I guess… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bang to rights guv. Unless signage was missing or obscured, 100% your fault i'm afraid. As others have said sat navs are only a guide and these restricted within certain times areas tend to trip them up a lot.

Even my £400 truckers sat nav really struggles with the London Lorry Ban because that only operates between certain hours overnight.

Satnav's etc, are only driver aids, it's still up to the driver to be aware of the road signs. I would say you have no chance challenging the PCN by blaming the car, only hope is if the signage was missing, inadequate, damaged, etc.
OP could end up with points for driving without due care and attention if he actually admits he didn't see the signage (assuming it was present).

If you do it on the basis you were watching the satnav and not paying attention to the road/markings/signs they are more likely to add driving without due care and attention on top than cancel it I would think.
OP could end up with points for driving without due care and attention if he actually admits he didn't see the signage (assuming it was present).
Ah the irony. Maybe we should have forum points for posting without due care and attention :)

Got a PCN through the post yesterday with the alleged contravention 53JC: Failing to comply with a restriction on vehicles entering a pedestrian (and cycle) zone

I checked on Street View and it appears rightly that the street where the CCTV captured my car driving was a pedestrian only zone at the time of driving.

I have been using the Tesla Navigation at the time and was driving through streets which were new to me and missed the signage. I have my settings to avoid tolls and have always assumed that I would not be taken through restricted roads.

Do you think Navigation should have avoided the restricted road or was I too thick and not paying attention to the signs? Should I challenge the PCN or pay it?
The laws on pedestrian and cycle lanes and priority have become very strict. Many drivers still are not providing priority to pedestrians and cyclists and not leaving enough gaps when overtaking.

The laws on pedestrian and cycle lanes and priority have become very strict. Many drivers still are not providing priority to pedestrians and cyclists and not leaving enough gaps when overtaking.

Kind of tough when you don't see them coming, because they have just come through a red light, dressed in black...on a black bike....with no lights on it.

Sorry....been in London all poxy day and i'm just SO SICK of seeing them shoot the lights. Literally seen hundreds do it today. But if I wipe one out, its all my fault.

Kind of tough when you don't see them coming, because they have just come through a red light, dressed in black...on a black bike....with no lights on it.

Sorry....been in London all poxy day and i'm just SO SICK of seeing them shoot the lights. Literally seen hundreds do it today. But if I wipe one out, its all my fault.
Are you new to driving in London? I took driving lessons in London 20 years ago and these are the things my instructors pointed out then and taught me to be careful as a driver of a heavier vehicle. Now the new laws gives all rights to pedestrians and cyclists to cross and use all lanes whenever and wherever they want. Best to do a refresher on the new highway code or best signup for the IAM Roadsmart course.

Yes, it would be your fault if you failed to see and avoid a cyclist or pedestrian. Maybe complete some refresher training before endangering other road users.

Are you new to driving in London? I took driving lessons in London 20 years ago and these are the things my instructors pointed out then and taught me to be careful as a driver of a heavier vehicle. Now the new laws gives all rights to pedestrians and cyclists to cross and use all lanes whenever and wherever they want. Best to do a refresher on the new highway code or best signup for the IAM Roadsmart course.
New? Hardly. Been driving HGV's best part of 30 years mate and a large portion of that, unfortunately, in London. I am fully aware of the rules and regulations, doesn't make it right though.

Also, just to make sure that YOU are aware of them. They still are not allowed to go through red lights, or ride at night without working lights on their bikes or person, which were the only things I was complaining about.
Yes, it would be your fault if you failed to see and avoid a cyclist or pedestrian. Maybe complete some refresher training before endangering other road users.
Pretty sure your trying to troll but I will humour you just the once. Please link me a refresher course that explains why cyclists are allowed to ride through red lights? Or not equip their bikes with working lights in pitch black scenarios? Either of those I will more than happily attend.

The only thing endangering these muppets, is themselves.

Bill, Not trolling at all, I never said that they are permitted to go though red lights, but if you 'wipe them out' as you say then you will have some questions to answer. Thanks for humouring me just the once though.
With regarding to refresher training, you could attend an IAM or ROSPA course, either of those will further your driving ability.

• Funny
Reactions: Billbrown1982