Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation changing supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was on my way home on a day trip that was about 200 miles or so round trip (I have a standard range plus). I figured I'd need to stop at a supercharger on my way back so I don't arrive almost empty. On the return leg, the nav automatically picked a supercharger, and I had the break all planned (bathroom, quick meal, etc.)... But when I was about 3 miles from the exit, the navigation suddenly picked a supercharger that was another 40 miles further down the road.

I knew I could make it to the other one, but I saw no reason to change my plans. However, the navigation was no longer directing me to that supercharger. I had to then do a voice search on that supercharger by name so I could continue to where I was headed.

Questions -- does this happen routinely to people? Any idea why? Can I choose and "lock in" the superchargers I want to go to?

By the way, when I got to the supercharger there were about 7 or 8 open slots, so it wasn't redirecting me because the superchargers were occupied.

Perhaps it determined that you could make it (you were more efficient than it had guessed earlier) and that by going to the later one, you'd have a lower state of charge, and would charge faster.
Were they both the same version of Supercharger?
I think the one I originally headed to was a 250kw while the one it changed me to was 150. So it would have charged slower too. But my point is regardless of why it might think it's a better idea to go to the other one, I'd like some say in the matter. Either a prompt I'd have to accept to change superchargers, or a way that I can lock it in ahead of time so that it directs me there regardless of what its algorithms tell it.

Anyway, I guess next time, this will probably make me want to just navigate to superchargers rather than letting the Tesla navigation guide me to the right charging station.

...just navigate to superchargers rather than letting the Tesla navigation guide me to the right charging station.
This is my M.O. anyway, as I use ABRP in the car's browser as my "planner" and only tell the Tesla to navigate to the next Supercharger (it therefore is not aware of the "rest" of my trip, but it does pre-condition the battery).

But you do raise an interesting point. On the one hand, I do feel that the car should have the freedom to adjust its plans for its purposes as needed. Thinking of it in terms of a taxi (which is where we are ultimately heading), you would give it a destination and it would handle ALL the details of getting you there. If it figures that it can make a different stop (or even a different route than you would prefer), that's the driver's (or ultimately the car's) decision, as long as it's algorithm and data is sophisticated enough to make the right decisions (I don't believe we're there yet, which is why I choose to use ABRP, which I think is "better" than the Tesla nav).

In your case, you may have had a strong preference (be it nearby amenities or the need for a bathroom break) to stop at a particular site. Maybe Tesla wants you to add that in as a waypoint now that it supports that.

But I also see your point, here in 2021, well before we have a true robotaxi solution (and an accurate routing algorithm that Supercharger utilization, availability & speeds into account), there should be some kind of confirmation prompt before it decided to arbitrarily make it to the next Supercharger. Even adjusting the plan to stop at an earlier Supercharger should require confirmation (sometimes the car is pessimistic and thinks it won't make it, but you know it actually will).

Great discussion topic!

Reactions: GtiMart
Interesting. I had something similar happen last week. I was driving three hours to an airport and wanted to leave my car in long term parking with a decent charge so I could be on my way on the return drive home. The nav was having me stop 35 minutes shy of the airport to charge which was perfect except it deleted off that stop when I got real close to the charger and was showing I’d have an uncomfortably low SoC at the airport but could make it. I then had to scramble to tell it to take me to the supercharger since I didn’t know how to get there myself.

I like the idea of just telling it to go to the charger if you already have a plan but it would be nice if it had a cancel redirect option.

I think the one I originally headed to was a 250kw while the one it changed me to was 150. So it would have charged slower too. But my point is regardless of why it might think it's a better idea to go to the other one, I'd like some say in the matter. Either a prompt I'd have to accept to change superchargers, or a way that I can lock it in ahead of time so that it directs me there regardless of what its algorithms tell it.

Anyway, I guess next time, this will probably make me want to just navigate to superchargers rather than letting the Tesla navigation guide me to the right charging station.
Directly navigate to a supercharger, then navigate to the next supercharger you want and so on and so on. Don't do the one big long trip navigation.

Reactions: SVDNN
Directly navigate to a supercharger, then navigate to the next supercharger you want and so on and so on. Don't do the one big long trip navigation.
Agreed, this is what I do. The downside, however, unless you are also using something like ABRP, is that you don't know how long to stay at the Supercharger. If you let the car know your ultimate destination, it will at least (conservatively) tell you how long you need to charge.

One thing you can do in that situation is to navigate to the destination/next charger while the car is still plugged in and I think it will then tell you how long you need to stay.

One other comment I have is this: if you do use ABRP, after selecting the charging plan you want (or if you change your plan mid-drive), you can "Share" your trip with the car to set the car's navigation to the desired Supercharger stop automatically. The problem is that it shares the address of the Supercharger with the car, and this is not the same as navigating to the Supercharger itself in that the car will not pre-condition the battery unless you say "Navigate to XXX Supercharger". So beware of that. I don't use the ABRP share feature for that reason, but instead use the voice command to tell the car to navigate to the next Supercharger stop.

Reactions: Transformer
So I was on my way home on a day trip that was about 200 miles or so round trip (I have a standard range plus). I figured I'd need to stop at a supercharger on my way back so I don't arrive almost empty. On the return leg, the nav automatically picked a supercharger, and I had the break all planned (bathroom, quick meal, etc.)... But when I was about 3 miles from the exit, the navigation suddenly picked a supercharger that was another 40 miles further down the road.

I knew I could make it to the other one, but I saw no reason to change my plans. However, the navigation was no longer directing me to that supercharger. I had to then do a voice search on that supercharger by name so I could continue to where I was headed.

Questions -- does this happen routinely to people? Any idea why? Can I choose and "lock in" the superchargers I want to go to?

By the way, when I got to the supercharger there were about 7 or 8 open slots, so it wasn't redirecting me because the superchargers were occupied.
Hi, I’ve had the same experience. Now that way points have been added since your post, that is my solution. I found my desired charger for a trip I make often and made it a favorite (it’s a long name to type in), then just add it as a way point.