Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation confusion with long tunnels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During a road trip from the south of Germany to the French Riviera I noticed, that the navigation system loses track of the car's position in long tunnels (e.g. the 15 km Gotthard Tunnel in Switzerland; also a shorter one near Lucern). Due to the lack of a GPS signal the navigation thinks the car has drifted out of the tunnel and attempts to reroute using nearby local (mountain) roads.

Is this a Tesla navigation issue or is this also common in other systems/cars? You'd think the software could at least assume you must remain in a tunnel when there's only one exit at the end.

I have yet to try autopilot on my Model X as the speed limits in the map data are simply wrong too often, but do wonder if autopilot would try to drive through the tunnel wall to follow the navigation instructions. :)

During a road trip from the south of Germany to the French Riviera I noticed, that the navigation system loses track of the car's position in long tunnels (e.g. the 15 km Gotthard Tunnel in Switzerland; also a shorter one near Lucern). Due to the lack of a GPS signal the navigation thinks the car has drifted out of the tunnel and attempts to reroute using nearby local (mountain) roads.

Is this a Tesla navigation issue or is this also common in other systems/cars? You'd think the software could at least assume you must remain in a tunnel when there's only one exit at the end.

I have yet to try autopilot on my Model X as the speed limits in the map data are simply wrong too often, but do wonder if autopilot would try to drive through the tunnel wall to follow the navigation instructions. :)

Not sure how applicable and/or common this is, but my 2005 Prius (the car I drove before getting my Model S) would lose routinely GPS signal in tunnels and bridges and try to extrapolate its position. Sometimes with amusing results. While driving on the lower deck of a long, double-deck bridge (the Bay Bridge between San Francisco and Oakland), we'd lose GPS signal and see the car's position on the nav display going off into the water.

As of right now, Autopilot (in its various incarnations) is oblivious to navigation instructions, so in the scenario you described, no it's not going to try to drive through the wall of the tunnel to get onto its computed route. :)

Bruce.

Reactions: FarmerDave