Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation data question! Model S 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone! I got a question : Navigation of the car is not working! I cant see the map but i can't navigate anywhere, it's just showing information but no routes. I clicked a software button in settings but on "Navigation data" its not showing any version, only four dashes, ex : "Navigation data ----"
I googled, and i find out that the SD card might be faulty, and need a new one, i downloaded the IMG, flashed it with balena etcher to SD card, popped my dash screen out, to take an old SD card out and put a new one, and there was no SD card at all! Anyway i put new SD card with the image i just flashed, assembled everything and still - nothing changed, no Navigation data, cant navigate anywhere, please give me some advices what else I could do? Thank you!
*Texted tesla support and asked to push maps update remotely, they told that they pushed it, but anyway i can't see any updates. :(

Has the navigation ever worked before or you are fresh owner and just realised it’s not working? If it just happened and it was working before then you need to contact Service as they can have look remotely. If it was not working before and you have self provided the map data on external SD card then you need to reboot the computer as well. First try to change the wheel configuration under Service tab. Just choose random size, this will make deeper reboot that the two-wheel-button feature. Remember to set the original size back again, note it will reboot again. If this does not help then you need to make factory reset under the same menu. You will loose your current settings so need to be set them again.
If these does not give any effect then Tesla have reconfigured internal memory (perhaps within the eMMC recall process) to accommodate that Navigation data and in your case the map data available on the car’s memory is corrupted and needs to be redeployed. As the data is quite large you might need to bring the car to Tesla to have closer look.
I have done the eMMC recall and they did reconfigured the car internal memory to accommodate navigation data and the external SD card is now obsolete.

Has the navigation ever worked before or you are fresh owner and just realised it’s not working? If it just happened and it was working before then you need to contact Service as they can have look remotely. If it was not working before and you have self provided the map data on external SD card then you need to reboot the computer as well. First try to change the wheel configuration under Service tab. Just choose random size, this will make deeper reboot that the two-wheel-button feature. Remember to set the original size back again, note it will reboot again. If this does not help then you need to make factory reset under the same menu. You will loose your current settings so need to be set them again.
If these does not give any effect then Tesla have reconfigured internal memory (perhaps within the eMMC recall process) to accommodate that Navigation data and in your case the map data available on the car’s memory is corrupted and needs to be redeployed. As the data is quite large you might need to bring the car to Tesla to have closer look.
I have done the eMMC recall and they did reconfigured the car internal memory to accommodate navigation data and the external SD card is now obsolete.
I have no idea if it was working before. I buyed a vehicle from Norway and the last owner said that it was working in Norway, but can't tell if he was telling the truth, haha. :) Okay, i will try to do restart like you just said! I was rebooted the car only with two scroll buttons, but it didn't make any change.

You have said the magical word Norway. The car has been configured by Tesla for Norway which is not part of EU so your issues migth be related to this. I think you will not get the maps to work since the region and other settings in the car needs to be set for your new location. Better look for dedicated discussion here explaining how to import a car to Europe. Note that Norway is also out of EU. I hope that Tesla is willing to help you but can’t confirm that they will…

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
You didn't state the year of the car. The 2012-2013 cars did not get navigation unless you bought the Tech package. You only got maps. At some point navigation was made standard, sometime in late 2013 I think. Very few cars were sold without the Tech package as it offered a lot of features. I don't know if this applied to Europe-sold cars, which occurred a bit later than North American-sold cars.

You didn't state the year of the car. The 2012-2013 cars did not get navigation unless you bought the Tech package. You only got maps. At some point navigation was made standard, sometime in late 2013 I think. Very few cars were sold without the Tech package as it offered a lot of features. I don't know if this applied to Europe-sold cars, which occurred a bit later than North American-sold cars.
It stated in the topic, 2014 year model, 5th month.

If it is a Norway car, the region is still EU, but you should ask them if they can change country code, because that will be on Norway. Friend of ours imported a Model-X from Norway and had similar problems, Tesla changed country and installed a new sim-card.