Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the car's MCU VIN number check, i have the Software Version (V9 2019.12.1.1).
Under that, i have a "NAVIGATION DATA (EU-2018.42-1718)", but If the car pull the maps from google continuously with LTE, what is this "DATA" for?

On the car's MCU VIN number check, i have the Software Version (V9 2019.12.1.1).
Under that, i have a "NAVIGATION DATA (EU-2018.42-1718)", but If the car pull the maps from google continuously with LTE, what is this "DATA" for?

Navigation Data is for Autopilot Navigation, geo bounded speed limits, roadway types, reduced speed on curves and so forth. Google maps by itself, does not contain that level of detail. There has always been two sets of maps with Tesla. Google is used for the big display and continuously updated (actually it is online). The map database for actual Nav purposes, is under the covers, and only updated occasionally. Tesla used to use Navigon for that, but a year or two ago switched to their own. Portugal (EU maps) may have its own quirks.

Reactions: brgloria
With the current navigation system - there are THREE sets of maps:
  • Google maps - which are used on the console display. These maps are used for display purposes only and are not used for navigation. The navigation software lays the route ontop of the Google map. Since the Google maps are relatively up-to-date, there may be some cases where the navigation route doesn't match the Google map, in areas of recent road changes.
  • Onboard map data (what is displayed in the new status window) - this is used by the onboard navigation software for the dashboard navigation display (the mini-map showing the upcoming navigation route) and is used to calculate routes when Tesla's navigation cloud server isn't available. This database is also used to provide road speed limits which limits areas where NOAP can operate fully and controls automatic speed adjustment under NOAP and TACC. Because this database is only refreshed periodically, it is more susceptible to recent changes.
  • Tesla cloud navigation server maps - unless disabled by the vehicle or the Internet isn't available, all routing calculations are now done on Tesla's cloud navigation server. That server is likely using more up-to-date map data (hopefully close to what Google displays). We don't have any way to determine the status of that map data.
Because the onboard map data is guaranteed to be out-of-date, using that data for route calculations and controlling speeds will never be reliable enough to support FSD. Over time, we'll likely see less reliance on the onboard map data, except when the vehicle is driving without Internet connectivity.

Reactions: brgloria