Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation delay/lag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suddenly I am getting really poor performance from the UI when using the navigation. On a good day, I wait a minute for addresses to load. Even sitting in front of my house it takes at least 30 seconds for the screen to respond.

This wasn't always like this, and didn't seem to happen with a software update. I would take it in, but am worried nothing can be done. I've tried resetting the screen and using lte over wifi, with no improvement.

Anyone experience this?
Navigation delay - YouTube

Navigation delay 2 - YouTube

Suddenly I am getting really poor performance from the UI when using the navigation. On a good day, I wait a minute for addresses to load. Even sitting in front of my house it takes at least 30 seconds for the screen to respond.

This wasn't always like this, and didn't seem to happen with a software update. I would take it in, but am worried nothing can be done. I've tried resetting the screen and using lte over wifi, with no improvement.

Anyone experience this?
Navigation delay - YouTube

Navigation delay 2 - YouTube

Try turning off Trip Planner, it seems to add to the delay. Also, I've noticed a long delay when navigation is queuing up just after I leave my house. It seems to freeze at that moment between when it loses the wifi and switches to cell reception.

See some other recent Nav threads. Some random thoughts:
  • There is one with discussion that having too many old Places causes a slowdown... Manually erasing them in Places history could help.
  • If your MS is using WiFI in your garage, has it slowed down for some reason --- meaning, if you get to an LTE connection, it may be faster? I see you've tried LTE, but just wanted to be sure, as that was an issue I remember for someone at least once.
  • I am convinced that when I'm playing USB music, the whole Nav environment slows down -- likely because the processes are shared on the same processor or some sort of priority scheme problem...
  • I'm not 100% sure exactly when the Nav goes out to Google and/or Tesla servers when a Place is entered vs if it's already known from history, but is the problem only when entering the route, or even after your route has been calculated? iF the former, try going to the places screen, then time how long it takes to get the route calculated when you enter a new one. Then go to the places screen again and press the words at the bottom to enter a full address yourself (normally to be used when you have no internet connection). If that works when in theory no internet connection is needed, then you know it's not an issue with your MS but something with Tesla and/or google severs.
good luck.