Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Directions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When a destination is initially entered, the nav system presents the list of directions for the route. After a short wait, the list collapses to show just the next turn and the map changes from showing the full route to just the beginning. The problem is, it doesn't always do this for me. I know that I can collapse the list manually by pressing on the first turn, but I don't understand why it doesn't happen automatically every time. I always leave the default navigation display on "track up", so that's not the cause.

I've never noticed that myself (14 months, dozens of long navigation trips), but now that you've brought it to my attention it's going to start bugging me :D

I *think* what you might be experiencing is that it tries to return to the way it was last displayed. Do you toggle between navigation displays when driving?

I've never noticed that myself (14 months, dozens of long navigation trips), but now that you've brought it to my attention it's going to start bugging me :D

I *think* what you might be experiencing is that it tries to return to the way it was last displayed. Do you toggle between navigation displays when driving?
That's my issue - I never change the nav mode, always leave it in Track Up. I do sometimes expand the direction list though,but I usually collapse it again. Thanks for the observation; I'll play around and see if that's related to how this happens. In 50 years of working with computers, I've learned that they always do exactly what they're instructed to. In this case it's a matter of understanding Tesla's logic in the way the direction list is displayed.

Reactions: LoudMusic
Today I tried multiple combinations of navigation mode, cancelling a route and then reestablishing it each time. Whether the route continued to be displayed in "Trip" view or reverted to "Guidance" (i.e. heading/track up), seemed to be completely random. The route is always set up in Trip, which is annunciated briefly beside the "orientation icon" at the top right of the screen. After a few seconds, either "Trip" or "Guidance" will flash in that location and the display will either change (for Guidance) or remain the same (for Trip). It doesn't seem to matter whether the vehicle is moving or not, or which mode was in effect for the previous route. I tried cycling the orientation icon on the map but that didn't change the randomness of the misbehaviour either. It is a mystery!

I have a similar issue. It used to work perfectly in the sense that it shows the full route overview at the start and switches to the start of the route list and track-up view a few seconds later. About a few months ago, it became kinda random/unpredictable as reported in this thread. Then, over the last couple of weeks, the map orientation is stuck in the route overview mode. I have to press the icon at the top right corner twice to switch to the track up view (via North up view).

It is very inconvenient that I have to manually change the orientation every time I start the navigation.

I have 2018 model 3, long range with 2021.32.22 (v10.2).

Then, over the last couple of weeks, the map orientation is stuck in the route overview mode. I have to press the icon at the top right corner twice to switch to the track up view (via North up view).
You can return to your default view (normally track up) from route overview by touching the first turn in the directions list. Easier than scrolling through the layouts with the guidance icon, but still annoying.

Today I tried multiple combinations of navigation mode, cancelling a route and then reestablishing it each time. Whether the route continued to be displayed in "Trip" view or reverted to "Guidance" (i.e. heading/track up), seemed to be completely random. The route is always set up in Trip, which is annunciated briefly beside the "orientation icon" at the top right of the screen. After a few seconds, either "Trip" or "Guidance" will flash in that location and the display will either change (for Guidance) or remain the same (for Trip). It doesn't seem to matter whether the vehicle is moving or not, or which mode was in effect for the previous route. I tried cycling the orientation icon on the map but that didn't change the randomness of the misbehaviour either. It is a mystery!
I’ve noticed the same. The “random” nature of all this drives me nuts.

Another Navi issue: If I use Google Maps on my phone in heavy traffic, alternative route options are offered (with the option for me to accept or reject). Tesla's Navigation on my 20 MY never seems to offer up a re-route ever. Is this how it is engineered? In my Navi options I asked it to reroute if it would save 5 minutes. But it appears to keep to the original route every time.

It's hard to compare any 2 navigation tools without understanding the underlying assumptions. I know Google Nav defaults to the shortest distance (time-wise) but have no idea what Tesla Nav does.... I don't think it's miles or time, so I'm wondering of it's the most efficient route? There have been a couple of times when it has routed me into heavier traffic which could be a more efficient route as it's slower than normal.... But at other times, it seems to take me on higher-speed routes as well, so I don't really know. And yes, it has NEVER rerouted me due to traffic conditions - at least not that I'm aware of. Perhaps it just does it automatically behind the scenes without giving you a choice or notification.

It's hard to compare any 2 navigation tools without understanding the underlying assumptions. I know Google Nav defaults to the shortest distance (time-wise) but have no idea what Tesla Nav does.... I don't think it's miles or time, so I'm wondering of it's the most efficient route? There have been a couple of times when it has routed me into heavier traffic which could be a more efficient route as it's slower than normal.... But at other times, it seems to take me on higher-speed routes as well, so I don't really know. And yes, it has NEVER rerouted me due to traffic conditions - at least not that I'm aware of. Perhaps it just does it automatically behind the scenes without giving you a choice or notification.
While it is certainly possible that Tesla Nav is doing silent routing adjustments, I have never, ever noticed the subtle distance change that would result from a mid-course tweak. But why are they asking about course-adjustment preferences if they do not deliver them in the end?

Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, page 134:

Navigation Settings - Adjust settings to customize how the navigation system works (the available settings vary depending on your market region and vehicle configuration)

Touch Online Routing to be automatically rerouted to avoid heavy traffic (see Online Routing on page 137)

Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, page 137:

Online Routing - Model Y detects real-time traffic conditions and automatically adjusts the estimated driving and arrival
times based on traffic. In situations where traffic conditions will delay your estimated time of arrival and an alternate route is available, the navigation system can reroute you to your destination. You can also specify the minimum number of minutes that must be saved before
you are rerouted. To turn this feature on or off, touch the map's settings icon (see Overview on page 134), then touch Online Routing.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Reactions: Krock65
Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, page 134:

Navigation Settings - Adjust settings to customize how the navigation system works (the available settings vary depending on your market region and vehicle configuration)

Touch Online Routing to be automatically rerouted to avoid heavy traffic (see Online Routing on page 137)

Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, page 137:

Online Routing - Model Y detects real-time traffic conditions and automatically adjusts the estimated driving and arrival
times based on traffic. In situations where traffic conditions will delay your estimated time of arrival and an alternate route is available, the navigation system can reroute you to your destination. You can also specify the minimum number of minutes that must be saved before
you are rerouted. To turn this feature on or off, touch the map's settings icon (see Overview on page 134), then touch Online Routing.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
I'm certainly aware of all of that, having read the OM several times. That doesn't explain why it would reroute me INTO heavy traffic - unless the traffic was heavier on the original route. I would much prefer a positive notification that rerouting is taking place, if not a yes-or-no choice. And doesn't explain what it's using as base assumption - time, mileage, efficiency....

I'm certainly aware of all of that, having read the OM several times. That doesn't explain why it would reroute me INTO heavy traffic - unless the traffic was heavier on the original route. I would much prefer a positive notification that rerouting is taking place, if not a yes-or-no choice. And doesn't explain what it's using as base assumption - time, mileage, efficiency....
Time - You can also specify the minimum number of minutes that must be saved before you are rerouted.

Another Navi issue: If I use Google Maps on my phone in heavy traffic, alternative route options are offered (with the option for me to accept or reject). Tesla's Navigation on my 20 MY never seems to offer up a re-route ever. Is this how it is engineered? In my Navi options I asked it to reroute if it would save 5 minutes. But it appears to keep to the original route every time.
An improvement of 5 minutes in enroute time is a huge change, especially on a local route. Try reducing it to 1 minute and you might see some re-routing.

Reactions: AlexHung