Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation doesn't do warning anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure everyone has encountered it at one point or another where the nav says stay below 85 to make it to your destination. Or stay below whatever speed to make it.

This morning I was driving south from Vegas on the 15 and I left town at 85% and the car said I'd get to yermo at 15%. So I took that as arrival at 5-9% either way still good.
I ran out of juice on the off ramp leaving the highway and had to get towed across the street to Eddie world to charge 🤦‍♂️

As I was getting closer like 20 miles out I was low on power so I slowed down and still no warning, I slowed more and even drafted behind a truck still no warning. The car was at 2% and I had 1.7 miles to go and in my head I was like yeah I'm good I've gone to 1% several times over the years. It died at 2% I was stopped on the exit ramp for an hour to get a tow. $107 to get towed half a mile 🤦‍♂️😂😂

What happened to the slow down warnings? Obviously this is my fault I'm not saying otherwise, but dozens of times over the years the car would say to slow down to reach destination, and today nothing.

I'm on software 2022.16.0.3

Not sure about warnings, I recall seeing it when deleting a supercharger stop (to avoid pre conditioning). Never heard a verbal warning.

I also always beat it’s estimate by a few %. And never ever target a destination or SC below 10%. I prefer not even end up below 20%. You never know if you might get stuck in traffic with heat or AC blasting. Or a detour. As soon as you mentioned 5-9% I knew it wasn’t gonna end well. It’s too risky. It’s all ESTIMATES based on voltages. Many EV companies consider anything below 10% (or more) as ZERO.

I'm sure everyone has encountered it at one point or another where the nav says stay below 85 to make it to your destination. Or stay below whatever speed to make it.

This morning I was driving south from Vegas on the 15 and I left town at 85% and the car said I'd get to yermo at 15%. So I took that as arrival at 5-9% either way still good.
I ran out of juice on the off ramp leaving the highway and had to get towed across the street to Eddie world to charge 🤦‍♂️

As I was getting closer like 20 miles out I was low on power so I slowed down and still no warning, I slowed more and even drafted behind a truck still no warning. The car was at 2% and I had 1.7 miles to go and in my head I was like yeah I'm good I've gone to 1% several times over the years. It died at 2% I was stopped on the exit ramp for an hour to get a tow. $107 to get towed half a mile 🤦‍♂️😂😂

What happened to the slow down warnings? Obviously this is my fault I'm not saying otherwise, but dozens of times over the years the car would say to slow down to reach destination, and today nothing.

I'm on software 2022.16.0.3
It's indeed odd, but worst is that you have the latest version, which is taking into account weather & more to be more accurate, and it did fail you.
I heard about regression of the Nav estimate, resulting in experiences like yours, from a friend. Never happened to me so far, but my last road trip dates from februari.
Yours and his and some other reports on TMC/Reddit tells me to double check next time and not rely on the estimate blindly.

Not sure about warnings, I recall seeing it when deleting a supercharger stop (to avoid pre conditioning). Never heard a verbal warning.

I also always beat it’s estimate by a few %. And never ever target a destination or SC below 10%. I prefer not even end up below 20%. You never know if you might get stuck in traffic with heat or AC blasting. Or a detour. As soon as you mentioned 5-9% I knew it wasn’t gonna end well. It’s too risky. It’s all ESTIMATES based on voltages. Many EV companies consider anything below 10% (or more) as ZERO.
It was never a verbal warning just the thing that would pop up on both screens saying stay below X speed to make it to your destination. And I routinely arrive at chargers or home at 3-9% for many years easily. The nav always says I'll arrive at like 10-20% so i always cut like 5% off of that for my actual estimated arrival percentage.
It's indeed odd, but worst is that you have the latest version, which is taking into account weather & more to be more accurate, and it did fail you.
I heard about regression of the Nav estimate, resulting in experiences like yours, from a friend. Never happened to me so far, but my last road trip dates from februari.
Yours and his and some other reports on TMC/Reddit tells me to double check next time and not rely on the estimate blindly.
Yeah the new crap is supposed to know about the wind and such. there was no wind till the last 60 or so miles of the trip and there was even a weather warning that came up on my phone, but the car never gave any notice that it was too much wind. I know after driving all these mile the wind has a serious effect o range just like it does in an ICE car but the nav is supposed to give notice that I'm using too much power and need to cut it back on the throttle.
On previous road trips with older builds, I’ve always found the warnings to be overly conservative, so I usually ignore them. I always leave a large buffer when supercharging so I don’t have to worry about making it to my next stop.
Yeah when the warnings used to come up I'd usually ignore them but still slow down, if it said stay below 85 I'd slow down to 90 and still arrive with like 7% easily.