Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation doesn't search contacts for address

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My iPhone's Contacts list is synced with Tesla. When I go into Tesla Phone, I can search for a contact.
However, when I go to the map's navigation screen and type in a contact's name, it doesn't search my contact list.
Shouldn't it? Is there a setting somewhere that I missed?
Thanks!

I don’t think that has ever been a feature, and I don’t see anything like that in the manual. If the address is actually synced with the contact, you could try using a voice command to show the contact and then tap the arrow next to the address to navigate there. I don’t know if that works, but it’s worth a shot.

If you already know you’ll be going to that contact’s location, you can create an appointment in your calendar with the address and use that to navigate. That’s what I do.

It's wack that it doesn't sync, nearly all navigation systems out there do.. but Tesla hasn't caught up to that kind of advanced tech =)

What I usually do is ask Siri to give me directions to a person or place, then share that result to the Tesla app on your phone - which in turn pushes the correct address to use for Tesla's navigation system. The process works pretty well

I haven't bothered yet, but you could craft a Shortcut (again, Apple's eco-system is what I'm used to) that would use the variable of the place or person you'd like to navigate to, then auto-share to Tesla's app. This way it can all happen without taking eyes off the road

One thing I've figured out, if you have to fiddle with the phone and run the early FSD trunk of updates.. make sure to take OFF FSD while digging up the contact and sharing to the Tesla app, to avoid the risk of the driver's snooping camera dinging you for using the phone while driving. Counter-intuitive for us beta testers, that we can't use the FSD for a moment of safety while doing a quick task on the phone.. but hey, it's worth it for now

I've attempted to get navigation working with contacts on my 2020, e.g. the contacts in the car phone directory) used M3. So far zero success. I have a Galaxy S22 ultra phone. I have had success if I use the phone.
  • I opened Contacts
  • Searched for the contact
  • Tapped on the contact to open it
  • Scrolled down to the address
  • On the right side of the address I clicked on the map pin icon
  • In people up I selected the Tesla app and clicked "Just Once"
  • The address was sent to the car
I attempted to send a 2nd contact as a 2nd stop. It replaced the 1st contact. I'm assuming this is possible but currently i now not how to do it.