Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the car's navigation tell me obviously wrong instructions like that before as well and haven't found a way to report them. At first I thought it might be due to one exit leading to a split that goes both directions, but it kept happening and in locations where that wasn't the case.

Last week I was driving from Atlanta to Savannah GA. The exit to I16 in Macon GA from south I75 used to be on the left. With the newly built highway exchange, it is now on the right. I had the Tesla navigation telling me the exit is on the left but Waze was telling me it is on the right. The Tesla navigation was wrong. Coming back from Savannah to Atlanta yesterday, on I16 going west there is 1 lane closure to repair the bridge that was damaged by a month ago. Waze tell me to exit the highway to go around the traffic delay but Tesla navigation do not alert me of any delay. My wife checked Google maps if the directions are the same as Waze. It was. I took the detour and I probably saved some time.

I do not trust the Tesla navigation because I had many instance where it directed me directly into road constructions (repaving of I75 south of Atlanta for example) when other route are better.

Well, is you think Tesla's navigation is bad, try Toyota's navigation. My 2019 model has data from 2018 ! Says there's no update available at this time. A few months ago in the Spokane area, Tesla's navigation gave me a strange unknown path from the airport to downtown. I followed it to a 'T' - and low and behold, as I glanced up at the interstate I could see traffic backed up for miles. Later I found that a crash had shut all the east bound lanes down for about 45 mins. So needless to say I'm pretty happy with Tesla's navigation system. I did notice that in my last week update, there is more detail and clarity in the on screen map.