Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've used Google Maps navigation for years, on business trips in 40-50 cities. It worked near-flawlessly and I trusted it implicitly.

Tesla nav, not so much. In the short time I've had my car, I've noticed some weird behavior and several downright wrong routes.

Example: a road south of my house used to run through a small neighborhood. As the area grew, there was too much traffic for the neighborhood, and there was also a train track (green line) that frequently blocked traffic. So they re-routed the street around the neighborhood and built an overpass over the tracks. Google figured this out within a few days. It's been that way for over 9 months now, and Tesla still hasn't got the memo. It tells me to go on the old route, even though the street doesn't go there any more. (It used to go straight from north to south, but now it's blocked at the red line.) I drive up over the overpass and in the middle it tells me to turn right on Vine -- which I can't do unless I jump the railing and take a 50' dive. Then as I come down the overpass, it gives 7-8 instructions to turn here, turn there, as I pass over the streets in San Cristo. Which again would require jumping the guard rail, but a shorter dive. See illustration from Google maps.

1659914789733.png

Then there's a nearby roundabout that confuses it. As you approach the roundabout, the road splits. Nav gives you no warning and no instructions. The route on the map is correct, but if you guess correctly (take the left fork), the verbal instructions at the roundabout tell you to "take the first exit." Even though the map shows the route taking the second exit.

1659913629634.png

Do they make any attempt to fix nav errors? Is there any way to report errors?

Tesla uses an open source for its maps (I think it's OpenStreetMaps) and errors, etc. would first need to be corrected in that database. You wouldn't see the corrections until then Tesla updated their map package and pushed it to everyone. Usually this only happens a few times a year.

Tesla's maps do not realize that there is a special bus/HOV on/off ramp where I live. Someone mentioned that Tesla uses OpenStreetMaps but I checked with their maps and they recognize this as bus/hov on/off freeway ramp. If OpenStreetMaps recognizes it and I can't get Tesla to use it, what do I have to "fix" or who do I notify to make it start working?

I have HOV turned on in FSD so that isn't the problem. The problem appears that Tesla doesn't appear to realize that this on/off ramp connects to the freeway or that we aren't valid for HOV when it does take into HOV lanes on parts of the freeway (while at other times I have to exit FSD in order to get into HOV lanes).

FSD doesn't appear to be consistent in some cases and in other cases it doesn't either appear to realize that I'm allowing it to use HOV lanes, or that the conditions for using the road or on/off ramp is valid and of course I have no way to know what Tesla maps are "thinking".

How long has this bus/HOV on/off ramp been around? At least ten years if not at least fifteen years. So there has been plenty of time for ANY street mapping/routing software to know about this bus/HOV on/off ramp to exist. Since it doesn't, I would like to know how to fix this.