Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 90D, 70,000 miles, FSD Upgrade, computer upgrade > 1 year ago. While trveling on the interstate, the navigation map suddenly switche to 3 or 4 miles away, stops in the middle of the interstate and instructs us to make a U turn. This has happened multiple times both on the interstate and off over the interstate. This is not rerouting for traffic. The map just suddenly puts us in a place that we are not and give directions to where we want to go with no regard for where we actually are. Has anybody else had similar problems? We have done all three kinds of reset w/o a change. It also picks up the speed limit for nearby roads when we sre onthe interstate and abruptly slows us down. Any suggestions?

Normally I'd say it is a NAV SD card going bad, but I never heard of that issue relocating your car on the map. This sounds like a GPS error or MCU error to me. Tesla could probably determine the issue remotely, but unless you are under warranty, likely a charge.

I've had a couple cases over the past 6 years with my MS90D where the GPS will report an incorrect location. Not sure I've ever seen it be 3 or 4 miles away but more like maybe 300 or 400 yards. Typically those seem like cases where maybe something going on where gps reception may not be that great (only seeing a couple satellites versus maybe 4 or 5, so gps accuracy just not as good). Typically after a short time gps will correct and snap back to the correct location.

I have had cases where there are multiple roads very next to each other that the NAV might think I was say on a parallel road. Typically those tend to be temporary situations with the NAV figuring out pretty quickly the correct set of lanes/roadway.

I would say if you see this behavior showing up frequently then it is possible you have an issue with the GPS module and may want to talk with service about it.

2017 90D, 70,000 miles, FSD Upgrade, computer upgrade > 1 year ago. While trveling on the interstate, the navigation map suddenly switche to 3 or 4 miles away, stops in the middle of the interstate and instructs us to make a U turn. This has happened multiple times both on the interstate and off over the interstate. This is not rerouting for traffic. The map just suddenly puts us in a place that we are not and give directions to where we want to go with no regard for where we actually are. Has anybody else had similar problems? We have done all three kinds of reset w/o a change. It also picks up the speed limit for nearby roads when we sre onthe interstate and abruptly slows us down. Any suggestions?
I have seen this happen when there is "0" internet. like say North Grand Canyon...