Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Failure - is this the new eMMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my MS 85 2014 MCU1 has recently suffered failure of the Nav system. This started with persistent "Navigation system is initializing" every time I tried to start navigation. This was fixed initially with a reboot but would reoccur every time I got in to go somewhere. Then it came up with this:
IMG_20210828_142723.jpg

for about 1 in 10 reboots it will load fine and work, but 9 out of 10 times it comes up with this after a reboot. It's not actually in need of a navigation data update, I've left it on WiFi for several days and nothing in the car says it wants to download anything.
I'm booked in for MCU2 upgrade next week anyway (you may have noticed the large bubble at the top of the screen, and it only has 3G, all in all it's a better deal to get a new MCU than fix all that's wrong with this one) so It's not a big deal, but I have only seen one report of this Nav issue, so wondered if it was the *next* thing that's going to start failing in old cars??

Make sure they replace the Navigation SD Card, which is probably your biggest problem, when they replace the MCU. It is just an SD card, and it has limits on its ability to rewrite over the same memory over time, just like MCU1 memory. Newer SD cards, like those "High Endurance" cards out now, are guaranteed for 10+ years and should not have the issue with rewrites, heat, cold, and shock. There are also reports of a software problem with NAV and the latest upgrade. You can search on these TMC message boards.

So my MS 85 2014 MCU1 has recently suffered failure of the Nav system. This started with persistent "Navigation system is initializing" every time I tried to start navigation. This was fixed initially with a reboot but would reoccur every time I got in to go somewhere. Then it came up with this:View attachment 703560
for about 1 in 10 reboots it will load fine and work, but 9 out of 10 times it comes up with this after a reboot. It's not actually in need of a navigation data update, I've left it on WiFi for several days and nothing in the car says it wants to download anything.
I'm booked in for MCU2 upgrade next week anyway (you may have noticed the large bubble at the top of the screen, and it only has 3G, all in all it's a better deal to get a new MCU than fix all that's wrong with this one) so It's not a big deal, but I have only seen one report of this Nav issue, so wondered if it was the *next* thing that's going to start failing in old cars??
Are you on 2020.48.37.6???

Same problem for me - 2016 85D - and software 2020.48.37.6 as well.

I was considering the MCU upgrade, but unsure that will actually fix the problem?

Did you get the upgrade yet Tomilett?? Very interested to hear if it sorted everything. Thanks.

Same problem for me - 2016 85D - and software 2020.48.37.6 as well.

I was considering the MCU upgrade, but unsure that will actually fix the problem?

Did you get the upgrade yet Tomilett?? Very interested to hear if it sorted everything. Thanks.
yes, my MCU2 upgrade was done a couple of weeks ago, it replaces everything in the MCU including the Nav system/SD card etc. so yes it fixes everything. you'll also immediately get 2021.32.10 so won't be stuck on 2020.48.37 any more.

It's like a different car - I remember trying to plan a route from Bristol to Edinburgh and it taking forever on MCU1. MCU2 has done it, planned all the superchargers and estimated the time of arrival before you've even pulled your finger away from the screen!

having 4G and DAB is also good, games, netflix and youtube are a bonus too, but probably not actually worth that much. DAB is an expensive add-on, but i figured that in terms of resale value and ability to listen to radio in internet blackspots (often on more remote motorways etc.) it was just about worth it.