TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Navigation Favorite Folders

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Lone Ranger, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Lone Ranger

Lone Ranger New Member

I am new to the club and have a few suggestions I would like to float out to the larger community and ideally have implemented by Tesla. If there is a better place for these posts, please advise.

I would love to have Tesla add "Navigation Favorite Folders" (Arenas, Friends, Family, Restaurants, etc) so I can categorize my favorites. This will make it easier to search for the location I want to travel to.

I am currently putting a prefix before each name to help facilitate this, but folders would be a better solution.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. eli_

eli_ Member

Yeah the nav isn't a bad start but it's very barebones feature wise. Top of my feature request list would probably be multiple waypoints and allowing you to choose from multiple route options like Google Maps.

Also they could improve things by exposing a "share to car" action in the Tesla smart phone app. Then you could just send a location to the car from any app on your phone.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

If they’re such favorites, wouldn’t you already know how to get to the them?

4. Phillyasian

Phillyasian Member

It should also be able to pull addresses from the linked Contact List of your Phone.

• Like x 1
  5. drawfour

drawfour Member

Then why do they have the ability to input a special "home" and "work"? Surely you already know how to get to them.

The point is to use the system to automatically route you there based on traffic, and having your favorites in an easy-to-find manner makes it easy to input the destination and let the car route you there.

6. Lone Ranger

Lone Ranger New Member

That would lead to the question...Why have favorites at all.

7. Aellinsar

Aellinsar Member

Work, yes. Home? It depends where I am at. I find "home" to be a useful shortcut when I am starting from an unfamiliar location, though I will usually cancel once I get back into familiar surroundings.

• Like x 1
  8. lairdb

lairdb Member

This, plus traffic aware routing.

• Like x 1
  9. drawfour

drawfour Member

Exactly. That's the whole point of having "favorites" - use traffic aware routing to get you there the fastest, regardless whether that's a park, restaurant, museum, doctor's office, etc... And if it's in your favorites, you just have to touch the screen a couple times to be on your way, instead of digging out the address and manually inputting it.

10. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

Does the Model 3 not have voice navigation? I used to be interested in favorites until I started using voice navigation. With voice it is so easy to navigate to a destination that I never bother with inputting destinations on the touchscreen anymore — can't even remember the last time I did it.

In May I was in Portland OR — 1100+ miles from home and an unfamiliar city for me — when I needed to visit a family member in a hospital. All I had to do was say "navigate to Providence Portland Hospital" and nav guided me there without difficulty.

The only issue with voice navigation is that it takes at least two bars of cell reception to work, but that signal strength is usually available in cities, where navigation is most needed.

• Helpful x 1