Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation going bonkers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AKinDC

Apr 30, 2019
DC
I've always loved the navigation on my Tesla, but it suddenly started behaving oddly.
Traveling on the highway with no traffic, the navigation kept advising me to get off at an exit, drive parallel to a highway for as short a distance as possible, and get back on the highway.
It's done this the last few times I've been on the highway. Never done it in the 3+ years I've owned it. Premium connectivity.
Again, no traffic, and the screen shows no traffic.
Anyone had this issue?

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Mine started yesterday. I typically use Nav to a known destination to see travel time or avoiding accident backups on the highway. Trip had me rerouted in ridiculous ways, on and off exits and reversing direction I needed to go in, plus took a 20 mile trip to 86 miles. Navigation still messed up today. I did try re-booting with no change. Husband said likely a server issue. Fortunately don’t really need to navigate somewhere I haven’t been to and know route but see as bad thing for anyone in unfamiliar travels. Wonder how long it will take to fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: AKinDC
Husband cracked up laughing capturing this screen shot the other day when headed on 101 N to Los Gatos. Talk about the long way. If you are familiar with the area, you’ll notice the route in the Nav to be traveled in the list isn’t even shown being taken on the map. Wow covering 89 miles in 23 minutes! Notice the u-turn at the beginning where directions should have been to continue N to 85 but instead directed south on 101 the realllly long way to Los Gatos. Definitely the car preferred the scenic route through the mountains although it did avoid the switchback on 152 from Gilroy to Watsonville guess because of the heavier traffic (in orange) 🤣.

1F577455-87C2-4DA2-8A9A-2668B9BAB72A.jpeg

Hey @Dave EV looks pretty much like same route as ours basically but that car in the twitter screen capture would be really flying!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave EV and AKinDC
Husband cracked up laughing capturing this screen shot the other day when headed on 101 N to Los Gatos. Talk about the long way. If you are familiar with the area, you’ll notice the route in the Nav to be traveled in the list isn’t even shown being taken on the map. Wow covering 89 miles in 23 minutes! Notice the u-turn at the beginning where directions should have been to continue N to 85 but instead directed south on 101 the realllly long way to Los Gatos. Definitely the car preferred the scenic route through the mountains although it did avoid the switchback on 152 from Gilroy to Watsonville guess because of the heavier traffic (in orange) 🤣.

View attachment 867102

Hey @Dave EV looks pretty much like same route as ours basically but that car in the twitter screen capture would be really flying!
Hah, clearly the routing was avoiding the same area as in that Tweet I linked to above, despite going in different directions!

Yeah, so in yours you're going to go 89 miles in 23 minutes - that's 232 mph! Almost as good as the 237 mph in the tweet!

It's pretty bizarre - it's like it's giving you the right ETA for your intended route, but the actual route is completely bonkers...

Something funky for sure going on in Tesla's backend servers...

Hah, clearly the routing was avoiding the same area as in that Tweet I linked to above, despite going in different directions!

Yeah, so in yours you're going to go 89 miles in 23 minutes - that's 232 mph! Almost as good as the 237 mph in the tweet!

It's pretty bizarre - it's like it's giving you the right ETA for your intended route, but the actual route is completely bonkers...

Something funky for sure going on in Tesla's backend servers...
Yeah that’s beyond maximum speed of my LRM3, but maybe possible with rocket thrusters like the Roadster 2 was rumored to get? … unless … Could this be a new software update 🧐 ??

I've always loved the navigation on my Tesla, but it suddenly started behaving oddly.
Traveling on the highway with no traffic, the navigation kept advising me to get off at an exit, drive parallel to a highway for as short a distance as possible, and get back on the highway.
It's done this the last few times I've been on the highway. Never done it in the 3+ years I've owned it. Premium connectivity.
Again, no traffic, and the screen shows no traffic.
Anyone had this issue?
Navigation went bonkers for me today too. It had me start on the freeway in the exact opposite direction of my destination and go that way for 15 miles, then loop around and rejoin the original freeway about 10 miles in the direction I should have been traveling. At one point, it told me I had 69 miles to my destination, and that I would get there in 45 minutes. That's an AVERAGE speed of 92 mph... in Southern California during rush hour! The "use online traffic navigation" option was definitely a factor because turning it off made the routes sane again.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Mine seems borked as well. I've been comparing Google Maps routes from my phone vs the car over the last two days by entering various random destinations. Most of the time, the Google option seemed to make more sense. I'm also actually surprised the routes were different so often as my experience before was that the Google-suggested routes and Tesla were fairly consistent.

What will be next thing on their list to screw up?

Navigation went bonkers for me today too. It had me start on the freeway in the exact opposite direction of my destination and go that way for 15 miles, then loop around and rejoin the original freeway about 10 miles in the direction I should have been traveling. At one point, it told me I had 69 miles to my destination, and that I would get there in 45 minutes. That's an AVERAGE speed of 92 mph... in Southern California during rush hour! The "use online traffic navigation" option was definitely a factor because turning it off made the routes sane again.

Wondering if anyone found a fix for any of this. Mine is still giving me some dumb routes.
See what Ed J posted right above you - turn off "use online traffic navigation".

Is this related to the recent rollout of the feature that can show you three routes when you start nav? This sounds a lot like bad nav data and/or bad traffic readings.

If it helps any, the navigation unit in my old Prius sometimes did weird stuff like that too. Going north on the I-5 Express Lanes in Seattle, if I was navigating to somewhere further north, it would tell me to get off at an exit in the U District, make a really long, circuitous route through all sorts of side streets (about 2 miles worth), then squiggle my way back to the entrance at the exact same spot and continue on my way. I chalked that up to bad nav data, since it didn't seem influenced by traffic readings. I wonder if the Tesla nav update is doing something similar.

Is this related to the recent rollout of the feature that can show you three routes when you start nav? This sounds a lot like bad nav data and/or bad traffic readings.

If it helps any, the navigation unit in my old Prius sometimes did weird stuff like that too. Going north on the I-5 Express Lanes in Seattle, if I was navigating to somewhere further north, it would tell me to get off at an exit in the U District, make a really long, circuitous route through all sorts of side streets (about 2 miles worth), then squiggle my way back to the entrance at the exact same spot and continue on my way. I chalked that up to bad nav data, since it didn't seem influenced by traffic readings. I wonder if the Tesla nav update is doing something similar.

Any relatability to Prius behavior is neither helpful nor a positive takeaway.. 😜

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert