TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NAVIGATION: Google Maps OK, Nav needs update

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Zapped, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Zapped

Zapped Model S - PURE EV

2 years ago a new freeway opened in our area.
    I thought I'd try the navigation today. The Navigation directions did not show the freeway even though the Google maps displayed the road. Repeatedly told me to take another route.

Anyone update the navigation maps system ?. Not sure if this is suppose to be automatic or I should call TESLA service.
    I understand the NAV is separate from google maps.

2. joer00

joer00 Member

I had it worse, today for the second time the map shows a destination at the correct point but when selecting Navigate, it drives to a completely different location !

Anybody else has this experience ? I can prove this with two locations in Tampa so far.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yeah. Have seen this before. Not often but have seen it.

4. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

#4 ToddRLockwood, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    I'm disappointed in the Garmin part of the nav system. The voice prompts sound like decade-old technology. You can buy a stand-alone Garmin GPS unit at Costco for $130 that has flawless voice prompts and numerous other features not found on the Model S nav system.

Needless to say, the Google Earth part of the system would benefit from allowing the map to rotate, keeping the car icon pointed toward the top of the screen.

5. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

I have had every navigation system in the last 10 years send me on wild and crazy routes. Audi, Volvo, GM, Garmin, etc.

6. Hank42

Hank42 Member

Really? People like that mode? To each his own I suppose.

I really like the split screen between the dash and the center console - well done.

7. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

Just discovered that the Nav doesn't seem to have a categories feature like the Garmins I'm used to. Stuff like looking for fast food restaurants nearby, banks, etc. Maybe I'm missing something??

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Use Yelp in the main browser to locate the name (and read the reviews), then type the name into the Nav system to get the directions.

9. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

One of the mains reasons for having a standalone navigation system is to be able to locate POI (points of interest) without requiring an internet connection. Aside from that, the web browser is slow and fairly poor at recognizing button presses without massively zooming most web pages.

10. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

It's easier than that. Just search for anything in the map browser. It uses regular google map search. You can type in anything, companies, schools, even tesla supercharger, then press navigate.

11. RatherAFool

RatherAFool New Member

Two words for you: Waze app.

C'mon, developers....

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Yes, assuming you know the name of what you are looking for. I've found Yelp to be helpful when I am looking for restaurants or entertainment because of the reviews.

13. jive_devil

jive_devil Member

+1. I've been shocked how much this crowd-sourced real-time traffic app has improved my commute times. Much better (at least in SoCal where there are a lot of users) than relying on the Caltrans provided traffic data.

14. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Sometimes it's nice to show POI icons based on categories to see what's coming up in the map. I used to use this a lot for gas stations that were right off a offramp. Obviously don't need that POI icon anymore, but ATM and restaurants were next on the list. They even had gas station/store icons on the map so you know if you were looking for a BofA you could see it on the map.

Yelp, recargo, blink, chargepoint, etc integration would be great. Someone needs to light a fire under the Tesla software development team.

15. Gynob001

Gynob001 Member

Anyone knows how to search for "rest areas" in freeways? I have an accent and the car doesn't understand me. I would like to type without getting off the programmed destination (of course I could "hide" my accent and try).

16. Zapped

Zapped Model S - PURE EV

NAV UPDATED
    Just got the update notice on my console this morning.
    NAV recognizes the newest roads so far