Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Inconsistent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. Been loving my Model 3 since I picked it up. I do have one complaint though.

When I'm using the navigation, sometimes the voice directions go like this:

• In 2km take a left onto such and such road.
  • In 300m take a left onto such and such road.
  • Now take the left.

Other times it leaves out the 300-meter warning and I end up flying past the turn.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a setting somewhere that I've overlooked?
It's happened enough times that it's starting to get annoying.

Reactions: rickyjb
Now you mention it I don't think I always get the 300m warning, I tend to glance at the map when I've got a change coming up as the car struggles to count roundabout exits sometimes. I often get told to take the 1st exit on a roundabout when it's the second exit, so that'll be the second first exit then 😁 So I'm used to not just listening to instructions being barked at me.

Reactions: Bovakinn
Now you mention it I don't think I always get the 300m warning, I tend to glance at the map when I've got a change coming up as the car struggles to count roundabout exits sometimes. I often get told to take the 1st exit on a roundabout when it's the second exit, so that'll be the second first exit then 😁 So I'm used to not just listening to instructions being barked at me.
To date I have certainly found the nav has the inability to count exits at roundabouts 🤣

We drove 480 miles on Friday and discovered that the navigation voice over repeatedly told us to bare left/right when it was actually a hard turn left/right junction.

The voice over repeatedly told us to take the second exit on roundabouts when it was actually the first or third exit.

It kept telling us to take a road called E05. We were on the A34/M6 and eventually M74/M8.

I think it uses Mapbox and not Google data as when we compared it to Google Maps, Google was always correct.

When we zoomed in the map directions we’re correct but frustratingly the map doesn’t stay zoomed in and using the voice command to zoom takes to long.

It is very hit and miss with the instructions. I keep the voice nav off the majority of the time. I'd rather watch the map and the road and go from there. I use the voice nav when in busy city centres as I find it useful not to be watching the map all the time. Apart from that, silence....

I also had the E5 thing, was confusing. Had real issues joining the M6 toll going north, it just says stay on the M6...

It was annoying.

Here’s what I found.

In most countries, the roads carry the European route designation alongside national designations. Belgium, Norway and Sweden have roads which only have the European route designations (examples: E18 and E6). The United Kingdom only uses national road designations and does not show the European designations at all.

This is the biggest gripe for me
Count yourself lucky. In my previous car - a-class Merc - the satnav voice consistently ignored large roundabouts and just told us to “take a slight left”, regardless if it was the first, second or tenth exit. This was particularly fun when exiting a motorway at speed and one has to choose a lane before the map brought the actual roundabout in view.

I use Waze, on phone, for voice instructions as I think they are better, and also better choice of route avoiding traffic etc., and once in traffic good estimate of length of delay; also notification of police cameras.

I set the same destination in car SatNav, but with voice set to MUTE. I find the big map useful; in big city I may set to Satellite so that I can use that view of buildings as a guide. Sometimes the routes chosen are different, Tesla will change if I drive according to Waze.

Only real issue is if car has chosen a route that is within range and Waze ... not reachable :( - I've had car routing over the QEII bridge, and Waze going the long way around M25, because it was a lot quicker ... also a LOT further!