Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation is annoying

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a few days of driving around in my new M3LR, the only significant complaint I have so far is about the navigation. Not so much about it sending me on weird routes, although that has happened a couple of times too, but moreso that when driving down the highway for more than a few miles, it feels the need to remind me every couple of miles to stay on the highway. Google Maps does this too, but not nearly as bad. It's really annoying, because I'd rather just know how long I have to be on the highway until my exit and only be told when I am within a couple of miles of that exit, not hear the voice come on every couple of miles just telling me to keep going the way I already am. (Dear Tesla: I prefer to listen to my wife and/or music, thank you) To make it worse, the visual also shows these "reminders" as the next turn/step, so I can't visually see how far until my exit either, to try to prepare by slowly moving toward the right lane. Instead, I'm only told of my exit with less than a mile to prepare, and have to try to "push" through traffic in the lanes to make my exit in time. Very stressful.

Checking through the owner's manual and skimming through threads here, I haven't found any settings adjustments or solutions. Does anyone have any tips to mitigate this, or a hidden setting to adjust the frequency of voice directions that I'm not finding?

Last edited:
After a few days of driving around in my new M3LR, the only significant complaint I have so far is about the navigation. Not so much about it sending me on weird routes, although that has happened a couple of times too, but moreso that when driving down the highway for more than a few miles, it feels the need to remind me every couple of miles to stay on the highway. Google Maps does this too, but not nearly as bad. It's really annoying, because I'd rather just know how long I have to be on the highway until my exit and only be told when I am within a couple of miles of that exit, not hear the voice come on every couple of miles just telling me to keep going the way I already am. (Dear Tesla: I prefer to listen to my wife and/or music, thank you) To make it worse, the visual also shows these "reminders" as the next turn/step, so I can't visually see how far until my exit either, to try to prepare by slowly moving toward the right lane. Instead, I'm only told of my exit with less than a mile to prepare, and have to try to "push" through traffic in the lanes to make my exit in time. Very stressful.

Checking through the owner's manual and skimming through threads here, I haven't found any settings adjustments or solutions. Does anyone have any tips to mitigate this, or a hidden setting to adjust the frequency of voice directions that I'm not finding?
Honestly I've had the navigation volume off for a couple years. I never get those stupid reminders :)

I dont have the volume on either, unless I am going somewhere I truly dont know where it is.

The reason it does that is usually because there is "some choice" you are passing, either an interchange, etc, at least thats been my experience. If you look at when its saying that, its normally because you would have a choice to transition "somewhere".

I do still want an audio cue when I'm getting close to my exit, so my eyes aren't taken off the road as often.
Also:
To make it worse, the visual also shows these "reminders" as the next turn/step, so I can't visually see how far until my exit either, to try to prepare by slowly moving toward the right lane. Instead, I'm only told of my exit with less than a mile to prepare, and have to try to "push" through traffic in the lanes to make my exit in time. Very stressful.
So even visually, this is still a problem.

I can understand how it works, and other nav systems are the same IME. At least here in the UK it happens when you need to be in the correct lane to stay on the road, for example when the outside lane goes off and you need to make sure you're not in that lane to stay on the road. It would be nice though to have an indication how far until you need to turn off, in addition to how far until you need to be in the correct lane.