Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation issue with Easy Pass lanes - always wants to re-route me through the toll booth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of annoying (unless I am missing a setting) that while navigating, and approaching tolls with easy pass lanes vs booths, it always puts on the blinker to change lanes to the toll booth side, instead of maintaining my route through easy pass lanes. Example:

I am Navigating on auto pilot and approaching a toll with two high speed easy pass lanes on the left, and 4 toll booth lanes (Stop and pay) to the right. I am in the high speed easy pass lane, and my right blinker activates, telling me I need to change lanes (to the right) for my route. I cancel the blinker, it comes again. I cancel it again, it comes on again - 2 or 3 more times until I get past the toll. Drive behind me thinks Im an idiot!

Why cant it just stay in my easy pass high speed lane?

Hmmm that makes sense - a lot easier than playing the blinker on/off game. Will do that from now on. But shouldn't the system know to route me through the easy pass lane (after being told of course) - there is a button to "Use HOV lanes", should also be one to use Speed Pass (or other term) lanes. In the mean time I will just turn off navigation when approaching these tolls.

Hmmm that makes sense - a lot easier than playing the blinker on/off game. Will do that from now on. But shouldn't the system know to route me through the easy pass lane (after being told of course) - there is a button to "Use HOV lanes", should also be one to use Speed Pass (or other term) lanes. In the mean time I will just turn off navigation when approaching these tolls.
Problem is the conditions vary by state. Plus EZ-Pass is far from universal. For example on the Indiana Toll Road (I-80,I-90), EZ-Pass holders are routed through the regular toll booths, but have dedicated lanes that are unattended, but you still have to slow and wait for the gate to raise. Then there is the mess you have in Florida, with many different toll authorities, some EZ-Pass, some not.

I also think think the HOV lane logic is flawed. We do not have HOV lanes in Indiana. But on a trip through Georgia, selecting HOV, meant always choose HOV lanes, even if the non-HOV lanes were faster. Perhaps it has improved in later versions, but in 2019, it was very frustrating.