Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Issues/Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a few things about the onboard navigation system that annoy me and I wonder if there is any way to avoid them.

First, the display seems to randomly change from heading-up to route overview every now and then. I only ever want to see my route in heading-up mode and I'll manually select route overview if and when I want to view it that way. Does this happen to others, and is there a way to stop it?

Next, I have Home and Work locations set up. I don't actually commute to a job any more but I set "Work" as a destination that I drive to quite frequently to make it easier to select. However, every weekday morning (regardless of the time), the car assumes I am going to Work and in the afternoon it expected me to be heading Home, and initiates the corresponding routes. It is often not the case that I'm going where it thinks I am, and it's a PIA to have to cancel and set up a new route or drive in conflict with the nav guidance. Google Maps and Waze both offer this "helpful" automation feature but at least you can turn it off. How do I stop it for Tesla navigation?

Last, if I scroll the map away from my current location, how can I jump back to current location quickly? Waze has a Re-center button to do this but so far the only solution I found for the Tesla navigation system is to wait until it recenters by itself.

However, every weekday morning (regardless of the time), the car assumes I am going to Work and in the afternoon it expected me to be heading Home, and initiates the corresponding routes. It is often not the case that I'm going where it thinks I am, and it's a PIA to have to cancel and set up a new route or drive in conflict with the nav guidance. Google Maps and Waze both offer this "helpful" automation feature but at least you can turn it off. How do I stop it for Tesla navigation?
You can disable automatic navigation to home/work in Controls/Navigation by flipping off the Automatic Navigation switch.

There's a setting to disable the 'automatic' routing. Just dig around in the various setting screens.

Changing in view between 'North up' / 'entire route' / 'next turn' only happens in my experience if you tap at various UI elements (e.g. the one that switches between showing only the next turn and a list of all directions for the current trip), it does not keep changing this by itself, at least when you have it showing 'next turn' which I usually have it on as well. Tap on the upper right hand map icon to change the current view.

Problems all resolved, thanks for the inputs. Don't know how I overlooked the Automatic Navigation selection - doh! For the route overview display, I guess I must have left the expanded directions list open which causes the map to show route overview. It does return to heading-up when the list is collapsed to next turn only. And the map orientation button at top right does return map to current position, good to know.

I wish there was a way to submit feature requests for the Navigation system. It could just be so much smarter, particularly when you are going on an extended trip. Options/Features would be:
1. List all of the Superchargers along the route to your final destination (also showing which are level 2 and which are level 3 -- for convenience) so you can select one or multiple stops indicating how long you may want to charge at each.
2. Allow you to add interim destinations (other than super chargers) to your entire trip (preferably multiple)
3. Be able to indicate how much battery you want at your destination point so that you can plan accordingly. (Several of the places i go regularly on extended drives, i can only plug in at 120 so i have to be sure that when i arrive i have enough in the battery to go where ever i need to go next.)
Adding this flexibility to the navigation system would make it truly usable and less time consuming then the work around I use now.

As for #2, I recall an Elon tweet from a couple months back in which he agreed that waypoints should be supported in nav. When/if we see it is another question.

#3 is why ABetterRoutePlanner is so popular but I agree that this intelligence should be included in the on board trip planner.

My parents got a Model 3 2021 about a month ago and we've been having serious issues with the navigation system. We live in the UAE and it often selects longer routes than necessary, is not too great with traffic, randomly reroutes us to far off locations and almost never gets the exits right, we get lost using it far more than one can care to count, anybody know what's up and how to fix it?

My parents got a Model 3 2021 about a month ago and we've been having serious issues with the navigation system. We live in the UAE and it often selects longer routes than necessary, is not too great with traffic, randomly reroutes us to far off locations and almost never gets the exits right, we get lost using it far more than one can care to count, anybody know what's up and how to fix it?

I always drive with Google maps on as well, I find the Tesla navigation to not alert well when making interstate changes and don't like that it doesn't show alternative route options.

Does anyone know who Tesla's navigation engine is by? I know it's Google Maps but Google returns MapBox as the routing engine which is wrong. I have a routing error that is totally silly but makes it useless within 50 miles of home. Navigating in Google Maps on my phone is fine, just not the car, so something is broken.

Does anyone know who Tesla's navigation engine is by? I know it's Google Maps but Google returns MapBox as the routing engine which is wrong. I have a routing error that is totally silly but makes it useless within 50 miles of home. Navigating in Google Maps on my phone is fine, just not the car, so something is broken.
Navigation data and routing engine are provided by MapBox.

Reactions: ArtK and birchsport
As for #2, I recall an Elon tweet from a couple months back in which he agreed that waypoints should be supported in nav. When/if we see it is another question.

#3 is why ABetterRoutePlanner is so popular but I agree that this intelligence should be included in the on board trip planner.
My only gripe about ABRP is it will randomly tell you to exit a road only to tell you to get back on it, and I've had it tell me to pass an exit for Supercharging only to take me miles out of the way and turn around and go back.